♡ love in motion ♡

"cruel summer" - Taylor Swift

It was a warm evening, and Evan and Barty had decided to go to the summer carnival.

Evan's small lakeside town always held a carnival at the beginning of summer, and the two had finally decided to visit. It was a big event in the town, as it was a way for the townspeople to come together and enjoy the quaint setting before it was flocked with unappreciative tourists and their fancy boats.

Barty loved the inconsequential nature of Evan's hometown, something about the quaintness of it comforted the poor boy. However, it could also be due to the memories the two had made there, especially by the town's famous lake.

The two entered the carn, excited, walking hand in hand. Barty and Evan strolled through the colourful pathways, taking in the sights and sounds of the bustling carnival. The scent of popcorn and food trucks wafted past them, and laughter and music filled their ears.

Barty watched as a gaggle of children ran past them, giggling with far too much cotton candy in hand and stuffed in their small smiles. He smiled at this endearing sight, knowing that he and Evan were going to have a fabulous evening and that those children's parents were not.

Their first stop was a row of carnival games located near the entrance that Barty had immediately spotted. Eager to win a prize for Evan, Barty led the way. The first was one where you had to toss rings onto bottles.

Once paid for, Barty picked up the rings and aimed, his concentration unwavering. With a steady hand, he threw the rings one by one, each landing perfectly on a bottle. Evan cheered on his masterful boyfriend as Barty won him a stuffed toy, a soft and cuddly reminder of their special night.

Evan's eyes sparkled with delight as Barty handed over the prize. They hugged each other tightly, grateful for the memories they had made, were making and were going to make.

After their victorious game, Barty and Evan continued to explore the carnival, indulging in delicious treats and trying their luck at other games. They rode the roller coaster, their laughter echoing through the air as they experienced the exhilarating twists and turns.

At one point on their joyful evening, Barty and Evan found themselves near the carousel. They hopped onto brightly painted horses, holding onto the poles tightly as the carousel began to spin. The whirl of lights and music filled their senses, creating a whimsical atmosphere.

Side by side, Barty and Evan rode the carousel, their laughter blending with joyful melodies, harmonising with the repetitive tune played by the carousel. They embraced the childlike wonder of the moment, cherishing the simple joy of being together.

As the final notes of the carousel's music faded, Barty and Evan stepped off hand in hand, their hearts full of love and contentment.

Barty was shaken from his blissful state by an audible gasp from his boyfriend situated by his side. "Oh my god, oh my god, there's a Ferris wheel! Can we please, please go on?" begged Evan, having watched one too many romantic films where they kissed at the top and desperately wanting that romantic moment to happen for him, too.

Barty agreed, of course - he hardly ever said no to his Evan.

As Barty and Evan stood in line, Evan's anticipation and excitement grew with each passing moment.

"Okay, I love you and all, angel, but why do you want to get on so bad?" enquired Barty after standing in his thoughts for a while, racking his brain for any reason why his boyfriend would be so excited to board a carnival ride.

"I've just always wanted that romantic moment at the top of a Ferris wheel, like in love Simon," Evan admitted in a resigned voice. "Please don't laugh, I know it's embarrassing..." he backpedalled.

"No, no, no, that's not embarrassing, baby. It's fucking adorable," Evan blushed a deep shade of red at this. "Of course, we can do that," a mischievous smirk overtook Barty's features. "You know I'll always fulfil your fantasies," the numerous innuendos underlaying Barty's words compelling the shorter boy to push Barty.

"Oi, you know I only joke," Barty defended himself, pulling Evan into his arms while they waited to get on.

When they finally boarded the wheel, their carriage ascended slowly, giving the two a chance to marvel at the panoramic view beneath them. The lights of the carnival twinkled below, creating a magical ambience while the world around them spun.

Just like Evan had always dreamt of, Barty kissed him at the top of the Ferris wheel. And, boy, it most certainly met expectations.

Barty kissed him. And it was the most Barty kiss, his hands cupping Evan's face gently to draw him closer, if that was even possible with the close proximity of the ride's seat.

It made Evan feel so fucking precious he wasn't sure he could bear it. Except he also didn't want it to end. The moment Evan had been yearning for since he was young, that he'd long given up hope would happen to him, or believed was real, finally was happening and it made him feel invincible.

It was hot and slow and deep and perfect. It was everything: the swell of breath, the touch of tongues drifting away like old leaves in autumn.

It was a kiss that stopped time, at least for the in-love couple. For the rest of reality, it was only 30 seconds, and the two had to get off the Ferris wheel.

As they left the carnival, their hearts still fluttering, the two promised each other that they would return every year.