Chapter 3

Jeremiah's Pov:

The vivid image of last night lingers in my brain, flooding my ability to think. I grin as I remember that I had kissed my crush since childhood in such a way that made me unable to, well, think. The delicious smell of bacon and eggs seeps into my room, so I swiftly get dressed and go downstairs. The sight of Belly making breakfast spreads a warmth through my body.

"Morning Bells, your bacon and eggs smell amazing." I whisper into her ear.

"Listen, I'm sorry for how I acted last night, I just wasn't ready..." She explains sorrowfully.

I am in shock. I don't ever want her to feel that way, but I can't think of anything to say, so I hurriedly change the topic.

"It's alright, I understand. But on another note, we have to go back to visit Conrad at Brown today. He needed some help with moving all his stuff back into his room. I hope this doesn't change anything between us." I reply.

I notice the worry in her facial expressions. She is clearly still not at great terms with Conrad despite their saying that they are friends now. But I drop the topic and take one last glance at the beautiful beach house before we leave. It reminds me of the times when we were only little, every birthday, every bon fire, every happy memory of the three of us, when things weren't weird, when things weren't sad. During the car ride, Belly starts blasting and singing along to her favourite song, Can't Do Better by Kim Petras. It feels like my ear drums are bleeding because of how loud the music is, not the fact that Belly is screaming at the top of her lungs.

We arrive at Brown, and all of a sudden, the awful feeling of my stomach turning inside out hits me. This is when I realise that I am worried for what will happen between Belly and Conrad. I'm worried that Conrad might hurt Belly. I'm worried that Belly will fall for Conrad again. I'm worried that I'm not truly the person Belly loves. I hold out my hand and smile sweetly as Belly takes it before we walk into the front steps of the college, hiding the throbbing pain in my heart. I mean, that is just who I am, the jolly Jeremiah who is always happy no matter what.

I knock lightly on Conrad's door, and it must've been apparent that my hands were shaking like crazy because Belly hugs me tight and gives me a light peck on my cheeks to steady my anxious heart. Now, with the new confidence, I knock once again on Conrad's door. I give Belly one last reassuring smile before Conrad opens the door...