13

Alicja

The night was in full dark, the wind was chilled. Outside on the balcony I called my aunt to let her know where I was, and to say I was alright. I also talked to her about the mark and if there was a difference with being bound to one of the Dradam. After confessing that I was indeed marked and bound, I got an answer that was close to what Ocean had described. Though it hadn't happened in her memory for decades, those who were bound were soon destined to live their lives on the other side.

"Is there no way to break the bond?" I asked.

"I've never heard of one. Hell, I wasn't sure if the stories I had heard were true or not. Seems they were. You know, that's what Enedral means, really. The Bound."

"Sounds like a pac," I sighed.

"More than likely was," Aunt Cara told me. "When they arrive, which is not often, but they do come, once they identify themselves we have always assisted them as best we could. Without question or grievance. Of course, they pay very well. And payment is generally in precious metals such as platinum or gold."

"When was the last time you met one?"

She hesitated, "We don't discuss that outside those who are directly involved. You know that. Or at least you should."

"Yes, I know. It's just that yesterday they were a story, and tonight they are very real. I guess I just wish I understood more about what's going on."

"Well, what's going on is that you are bound, and that may mean some things and it might not. I'm not saying that you are indentured to servitude. But I am saying, try not to get too far away from him for a while, until you have an idea of the consequences."

"Thanks," I said.

"Alicja, you're one of the most resourceful people I've ever known. In our clan that's no small thing. You'll figure this out. When you do, I want to hear about it."

"Yes, and thanks. I don't think we're going anywhere soon. He has business here. He's... ah. I'm probably not supposed to tell you."

"You're learning. Good night," she said, and clicked off.

Shit.

There were some things, I was learning, that you didn't want to be learning.

Back inside I put my phone back into my purse. Weariness was creeping up on me. "So, you are looking for a group of Hunters, who are connected to the two men who broke down my door," I said, turning around to face them. "And if I help you, what do you intend to do to them?"

"Help us?" Victor said, sitting forward.

"Yes," I said. "What are you planning on doing with them?"

"Well, I'm ... how do you feel you can help us?" he asked.

"It's information, it's research. It's what we do," I told him calmly. "And you?"

"I'm, I mean, ok. I intend to get some answers from them, such as: how were they able to cross over. That's not something your average human knows how to do."

I nodded and walked back to the couches, "Not sure any of the Enedral know how to do that either. But we do have our secrets, don't we. Did you ask my clan here for help when you came this time?"

He shrugged, "Sure. This place, we needed to purchase something. Or rather I felt we did. Ocean said we could do with a rental, but that seemed short sighted."

"You plan on returning then," I said, trying not to sound too hopeful.

"That's the idea. Why?" he asked.

"No reason. Just curious. What else do you want?"

"I want the group who killed my father. I want them to face trial."

"You mean, on your side, face your trial," I clarified.

"That's where the crime was committed, right?" he asked.

He had a point there. If they committed murder in France, killing a French citizen then France would want to hold them accountable. And more than likely, the US would extradite.

I sighed. "Alright, well stomping around out in the bayou isn't going to get you anywhere fast. I'm tired, and I really need some sleep. But tomorrow, we'll go to see my cousins, Sean and Mal. They specialize in this sort of thing. They'll likely find these men you are looking for, and many others. But you're not going to just kill them, right?"

"No," he said, his voice weighted. "We don't kill, unless it can't be avoided. And it is rare that it can't be avoided."

I might have displayed a bit of doubt on that claim.

"Yes," he asked.

"Nothing," I said, shaking my head, "I'm just tired."

He showed me to a room, which had its own shower and a bed the size of the state of Texas. It was the smallest they had, he informed me, looking a bit embarrassed by it as well.

The shower was marvelous. There were four jets of gushing hot water that soothed my whole body, down through my skin and muscles to the bones. Never had I experienced such a luxury before. Somehow I doubted they had this kind of thing on the other side.

That assumption clung to me as I got into bed. It wasn't a normal thought. I rarely assumed things like that when I had zero information about what I was assuming about.

I also rarely dreamed.

Never so vividly.

Was it the mark? I didn't know, but I knew I was dreaming when I asked the question. The dream, as wild and out of step as it was, continued to do its work, shuffling emotions and memories around in my mind, but I was no longer attached to the performance — No longer bound by dream rules. It was as if I found the fourth wall, inside my head, and stepped out into the audience and looked back.

"Never seen you here before," a voice said, nearby.

I turned to look, but didn't see anyone.

"Up here, on the ledge," the voice said.

Looking up I found the enormous head of a dragon looking down on me. "I'm... sorry. I didn't mean to disturb you," I stammered.

"Not to worry, I'm not going to eat you," it said.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I was going to ask you the same thing, but I see you have no idea where here is."

I looked around. My dream had gone off somewhere else. What was around me was vast emptiness, and rocks. Huge rocks. I was on the edge of the world. Some place very high.

"Careful," it said. "I'm not quite certain what would happen if you fell off. You might hover there. You might fly. But you could fall, and that would not be wise."

Stepping back from the edge a bit more, I said, "Thank you. But I really don't want to be here at all, now that you mention it, and there doesn't appear to be any stairs."

"Wouldn't be much of a nest if there were stairs leading up to it."

"No, I don't suppose it would. How is it we are talking?"

"We're using the base language. The language of everything, down below the language you speak."

"Ah, and now I wonder how I knew how to do that," I said, looking around again. I didn't feel cold and it certainly looked like I should feel very cold.

"You'll find your way alright. You'll do just fine."

"Will I? I would like to. I would like to very much."