Chapter 6

The first rays of dawn painted the sky in shades of pink and gold, gradually dispelling the night's darkness. Birds welcomed the new day with their melodious songs, a symphony that echoed through the jungle canopy. As Mateo and Isabella slept beneath the towering Great Tree, a subtle shift in the jungle's sounds went unnoticed by them until it was too late. Suddenly, the air was filled with the faint rustling of leaves, the whispers of footsteps, and the scent of unfamiliar herbs and spices. Mateo stirred first, his senses slowly awakening to the presence of intruders. He opened his eyes to find himself surrounded by a group of native people, their faces painted with intricate designs and adorned with vibrant feathers. Spears and bows were held at the ready, their pointed tips glinting in the soft morning light. Isabella woke with a start as well, her eyes widening in surprise and alarm. She clutched her bag, instinctively protecting the precious piece of golden leaf they had found the previous day.

Standing before them was a man of regal bearing, his headdress adorned with the most striking plumes, marking him as the chief of this tribe. His eyes held a mix of curiosity and suspicion as he surveyed the two strangers who had invaded their territory. Mateo and Isabella slowly rose to their feet, their hands held out in a gesture of peace. They exchanged glances, understanding the precariousness of their situation. The tribal chief, Chief Zirintu, spoke in a language neither of them understood, his words a lyrical, melodic cadence that resonated through the jungle.

An imposing figure emerged from the shadows. He was a young man, taller and broader than most of the tribe's members. His eyes, however, held a warmth that contrasted with the initial wariness they had encountered. Chief Zirintu introduced him as Prince Huitalco, his son. The prince extended his hand in a gesture of friendship, and Mateo shook it warmly. Isabella followed suit, and a sense of relief washed over them as they realized that they might not be in immediate danger. As Mateo and Isabella stood beneath the Great Tree, Prince Huitalco plucked a vibrant golden fruit from one of its lower branches. The fruit was unlike anything they had ever seen, its skin radiating a brilliant hue that matched the dazzling leaves of the tree. With a gracious smile, Prince Huitalco handed each of them a fruit.

The two explorers hesitated for a moment, exchanging glances filled with both curiosity and a hint of trepidation. Then, in unison, they took a bite of the exotic fruit. As the sweet, succulent flesh touched their tongues, a wave of warmth and energy surged through their bodies. It was as if the very essence of the jungle, with all its hidden secrets and untold stories, flowed into them. And then, something extraordinary happened. The words of Chief Zirintu, Prince Huitalco, and the other members of the Huitaca Tribe, which had once sounded like melodious gibberish, now began to make perfect sense. It was as if a veil had been lifted, revealing the true meaning of their words.

Prince Huitalco led the way through the lush, vibrant jungle, his steps confident and his presence reassuring. Mateo and Isabella followed closely, still in awe of the incredible gift they had received from the golden fruit of the magnificent tree. The jungle seemed to embrace them, its sounds and secrets now accessible to their senses. As they ventured deeper, the atmosphere grew denser, and the air hummed with an energy that was both ancient and mystical. Vines and thick foliage brushed against their skin, and the scent of exotic flowers filled the air. It was as though they were treading through the pages of a storybook, each step revealing new wonders. After a while, the jungle began to thin, and they found themselves standing before a massive stone archway, intricately adorned with carvings depicting scenes from the Huitaca Tribe's history. Prince Huitalco paused and gestured toward the archway with a sense of reverence.

"This is the entrance to our sacred Huitaca Shrine," he explained, his voice resonating with pride and solemnity. "It is a place of great spiritual significance to our tribe, where our ancestors rest, and our connection to the land is celebrated."

The archway seemed to beckon them forward, and as they passed beneath it, they entered a hidden realm of tranquility and awe. The path was lined with vibrant flowers, their petals catching the dappled sunlight that filtered through the thick canopy above. The air was perfumed with the scent of incense, and a gentle breeze carried with it a sense of serenity.

At the heart of the shrine, nestled beneath a colossal tree with branches that stretched out like protective arms, was a circular clearing. In the center of this sacred space stood an ancient stone altar, engraved with symbols and markings that spoke of centuries of tradition and reverence. Mateo and Isabella exchanged wide-eyed glances, struck by the sheer beauty and spiritual energy that enveloped this place. It was a world away from their familiar lives in the city, a testament to the profound connection the Huitaca Tribe held with the natural world. Prince Huitalco led them to the stone altar, where a figure draped in a vibrant robe awaited them. This was the spiritual leader of the tribe, Elder Yarabi. Her eyes, though aged, held a wisdom that transcended time. She welcomed them with a nod, and Prince Huitalco began to speak in their newfound shared language, recounting their encounter in the jungle and the gift of understanding they had received from the golden tree.

Elder Yarabi listened intently, her expression unreadable. Then, she turned her gaze to Mateo and Isabella, her eyes seeming to pierce into their very souls. After a profound silence, she finally spoke, her voice soft yet filled with authority.

"Your presence here is no coincidence," she said, her words flowing smoothly in their minds. "The golden tree has chosen to reveal its secrets to you, and the Huitaca Tribe welcomes you as guests. But why would the tree reveal itself to you of all people? Hundreds have come and gone, but none have found the Great Tree other than 1 man hundreds of years ago.

Mateo and Isabella exchanged glances once more, sensing that their quest had taken an even deeper turn. Isabella stepped forward, a sense of reverence in her demeanor as she faced Chief Zirintu, Prince Huitalco, and Elder Yarabi. She had always been respectful of different cultures and traditions, and now, in the presence of the Huitaca Tribe, that respect deepened.

With a gracious nod, she began to introduce herself. "I am Isabella Ramirez," she said in their newfound shared language, her voice warm and respectful. "I come from the city not far from here, and I work as an archaeologist at the Colombian National Museum. It is an honor to stand before you and be welcomed into your tribe."

Chief Zirintu acknowledged her introduction with a dignified nod, his eyes reflecting his appreciation for her words. Prince Huitalco, too, offered a warm smile.

Then it was Mateo's turn. He stepped forward, his heart racing as he spoke, "I am Mateo... Mateo de Ordaz."

The impact of his name was immediate and profound. Chief Zirintu's eyes widened, and Prince Huitalco's expression shifted from surprise to a mixture of awe and respect. Elder Yarabi's gaze seemed to penetrate deep into Mateo's soul, as if she were assessing the authenticity of his claim.

Prince Huitalco broke the silence that had fallen over the gathering, his voice filled with a newfound reverence. "You, Mateo de Ordaz, are of El Dorado blood. This is a momentous revelation, and it carries great significance for our tribe."

Chief Zirintu nodded in agreement. "You are welcome among us, not only as a guest but as one of our own. Your presence here could be the key to safeguarding the legacy of El Dorado from those who seek to exploit it."

Mateo and Isabella exchanged glances, the weight of the tribe's expectations settling upon them. Gratitude swelled within Mateo's heart as he and Isabella accepted the tribe's warm embrace. The night sky bore witness to this newfound alliance, and the crackling bonfire seemed to dance in celebration. It was a night of camaraderie and connection, a night where language barriers were bridged through shared experiences and the unspoken understanding that destiny had brought them together. As the night deepened, Chief Zirintu, with a regal air, presented Mateo and Isabella with woven cloaks adorned with intricate patterns. These cloaks, he explained, were a symbol of their honorary membership in the tribe. They were now recognized as protectors of El Dorado's legacy, trusted allies in the tribe's sacred duty.

The party continued into the early hours of the morning, the Huitaca Tribe's music and dance blending with Mateo and Isabella's laughter and camaraderie. It was a night that transcended language and culture, a night that forged bonds that would be tested in the days to come.

Unbeknownst to the tribe, and perhaps even to Mateo himself, destiny had more in store for them than they could have ever imagined. As the first light of dawn painted the sky in shades of pink and gold, the tribe and their newfound allies retired to their sleeping quarters, their hearts filled with hope for the future of El Dorado.