Chapter 2

Friday night Stiles hits the grocery store with two shopping lists and a folding bag lady cart he picked up from the end of someone's driveway. It's a bit rusty and he had to get some cobwebs off it but with a bit of spare cardboard in the bottom to keep everything inside it should do just fine. Luckily his building actually has an elevator, even if it is old and slow.

The list he made for Mr. Hale is pretty long, but Stiles figures he's paying for it and Stiles might as well do the best job he can and hope for a repeat customer. Mr. Hale hadn't specified if he ate lunch at home or at work or what, so Stiles figures the safest plan is to make the same kind of things he used to make for his dad before he moved for school: lunches he can easily eat one handed while working, and a hearty, sit down dinner that can be heated up in a bowl to minimize the dirty dishes.

He'd used google maps to look up the address earlier and Hale lived somewhere out in the middle of nowhere. Who knows what kind of house or man cave he lived in. It won't be far in his jeep, and Stiles still has about half a tank of gas, thankfully.

His own groceries for the week are pretty sad, but that's student life. While he doesn't enjoy it, Stiles can eat the same deli meat sandwiches all week and maybe splurge on pizza at the end if he's lucky and Mr. Hale wants to order more food. Maybe even something sugary and terrible for breakfast instead of the store brand box-mix muffins with peanut butter that he's been having for the past two months.

It's terrifying, paying the bill and hauling his groceries home, but the fifty percent he got ahead of time more than covers the groceries. He just has to remember that he is actually getting paid for this.