seven.

Everything She Would Rather

~~~~~

"time won't fly, it's like I'm paralyzed by it

"time won't fly, it's like I'm paralyzed by it. I'd like to be my old self again, but I'm still trying to find it."
~~~~~

There was only one thing Tatum disliked more than children.

And that was Alaric Saltzman.

At first, Tatum never really knew how to feel about him. When he appeared in their lives, her mother, Jenna, had taken an immediate liking to him. Wanting to see her mom happy again, even if only for a little, Tatum let the relationship happen—no matter how many times Jenna asked if she was okay with it.

Tatum wasn't exactly okay with it.

But her mom was happy.

Alaric was a nice person.

He taught in schools and was the teacher to both Jeremy and Elena.

He was a good person.

Her father had been a good person.

Tatum had no reason not to like the man. He was good enough and he loved her mom. That was supposed to be enough. She should have liked him—she should have. She had every right to like him besides the fact that he wanted Jenna in the dark about the supernatural ( oblivious that Tatum still told her everything ). She really should have liked him. He made her mom happy.

But she didn't.

And she didn't know why.

Maybe because he had come on too strongly when they first met. Maybe because he didn't realize Jenna had a daughter until a week and a half of dating her. Maybe because he was a liar. Maybe because he tried to become a father figure to her and her cousins. Maybe because—

Maybe because Alaric wasn't Aaron.

"So you worked at another coffee shop up in New York?"

Tatum was sitting on the counter, sipping a cup of coffee while Alaric cut a salad for dinner. He was trying to make conversation with both Tatum and Jenna as he did.

"Mhm," Tatum hummed.

"And your mom told me that you got commissions for the artwork the owner let you put up?"