Chapter 14: Toshiro vs Mikana

Toshiro P.O.V

Finally! It was over!

I had frozen that damn Shawlong and I was currently trying to get Matsumoto's attention. She seemed to be in a deep battle with the arrancar she was fighting.......I wonder if that was one of the Espadas that Shawlong had mentioned.

I was about to go and help her when a strange cloaked figure dropped down infront of me. It had landed with it's back to me, but it was turning slowly around.

"Who are you!" I ordered. There was silence. The hooded creature continued to stare at me from beneath its cloak. I couldn't see it's face and it wasn't speaking so I couldn't tell whether it was a man or a woman.

I repeated my question, getting angry now. It still didn't answer me, so I ran forward, lunging for the cloak. It dodged me with ease. I turned to face it. A hand went to it's hood. I held my breathe wondering what or who could be under there!

I gasped in shock. I almost dropped from the sky in surprise, but I didn't. There stood Meena. Or a messed up version. Ichigo was right. She was familiar, yet unrecognisable. Her features where the same, but her 'aura' , hair/eye colour and clothes suggested that she was somebody else.

"Meena?! Is that really you!" I asked hesitantly.

Her amused red eyes, suddenly changed to anger and annoyance. I also saw a little confusion in her expression too.

She attacked me, zanpaku-to unsheathed, yet unreleased (if that makes any sense).

"I'M NOT MEENA! YOU AND THAT STUPID ICHIGO PERSON ARE MESSED UP!!!! STOP CALLING ME THAT NAME!" She yelled at me, her voice full of sadness and despair.

It pained me to see her like this. I could see that she didn't recognise or remember me. That killed me more than she was about to do.

She ran at me again. This time I had to release Hyorinmaru.

"REIGN OVER THE FROSTED HEAVENS......HYORINMARU!" She was blown back by the explosion that followed. She had a little cut on her cheek, even that was making me feel guilty as hell. How was I meant to win if I couldn't even cut her cheek without feeling so guilty.

Her eyes narrowed at this cut and she shouted...

"SCORCH THEM, HINOKAMI!".........Fire errupted from her sword swirling around me. As she brought it back, I could see that her outfit had changed. Instead of wearing a black kimono with a fire pattern like before, she was wearing a fire red kimono and it looked like actual fire. Her black hair that was once loose and flowing down her back, was now tied up with a fire ribbon.

I couldn't help but get distracted at her effortles beauty.......What the hell was wrong with me!?

I sent Hyorinmaru at her and she dodged it sending her devilish fire at me. I tried blocking it, but the heat was so intense, it completely melted through my ice wall, scorching me.

"Mee-...Mikana, whoever you are..........please! Think about what your doing. Are you telling me that you seriously don't remember me? After all we went through! After all that happened....How can you side with Aizen!!! What about Byakuya? How can you just forget the two of us!?" I asked half shouting.

At the mention of Byakuya, her eyes went the usual blue then back again as quickly as is it had come.

"You are nothing but an enemy. Aizen is my master, he is God, he is the ultimate ruler! I don't know a Byakuya and I certainly don't like YOU! I have been ordered to kill you personally! Please die quickly.......this is boring me!" She said.

I could feel an odd emotion inside of me........what was it?..........Sadness?.......Betrayal?.......Love?............Determination?......Most of all, hate to Aizen. He took the one person who understood me, the one person who managed to touch my heart, the one person who was capable of making Byakuya and me smile at the same thing.....her!

"BANKAI, DAIGUREN HYORINMARU!" I shouted. The only way to get her back was to defeat her and take her by myself. She wasn't in control anymore, she didn't know what was going on.

My huge ice wings grew and I was surrounded by my ice. She smiled and then disappeared. I searched for her. She had literally disappeared.

"Hmm, I was expecting more from a 'Captain'..........Especially one who has such determination.....Oh well!" She sighed. She wa behind me and was whispering in my ear. A blade went straight down through my shoulder.

I coughed up blood and struggled to stay standing on the air.

"Taicho! Renji! GENTEI KAIJO HAS BEEN APPROVED!!" I heard Rangiku yell. I din't know whether to be happy or frustrated. True, she was kicking my arse right now and I might have a chance or winning now, but I still can't bear hurting her. All those times where I promised I would protect her and failed. I can't back out of that promise now........no matter how the circumstances have changed.

"I'm sorry. I truely don't want to release my full power on you.....but there is no other way!" I told her, regret filling my voice.

She stood there and laughed.

"I guess I should at least show you part of my Bankai! I don't want you running away with the idea that you can ACTUALLY beat me!" She said still laughing..........."BANKAI, HINOKAMI SAIMIN!"

I froze.....Shit.....how could I have forgotten, she had learned Bankai too! And even without that form, she managed to whoop Byakuya's arse with it!

Swirling smoke surrounded her yet again. As it came off she was stood there holding, not a sword with a blade, but a sword made of fire itself. It had also gotten bigger. It was roughly the same size as Kurosaki's. That was a MASSIVE sword for someone so small!

She ran towards me and miraculously her sword was getting smaller. But I had to move pretty sharpish. I was panting from moving so quickly and it had taken a couple of hundred shunpos to escape her mainiac sword. She was mumbling something to herself, like she was talking to someone. I took this chance to send a massive block of ice flying towards her. It hit her full on and she went soaring through the air. She landed, clutching her stomuch. It ripped her kimono and I could see a massive bruise forming. Unfortunatly, the ice had sharp edges so I had also cut through her chest leaving a very big and very deep cut. Blood was gushing out of it.

I was feeling a bit ashamed. I know I shouldn't have attacked while she was defensless, but that was the only way I was going to win.

Fire exploded again from her flaming sword and this time it made a circle around me. The fire was almost....'hypnotising'...I searched for her again and again. I then saw her to my left. I flashstepped towards her. As I went to attack her, a sword was stabbed right through my stomach. I turned around as she extracted her sword, she was smiling. Still bleeding, she went for another attack on me. i was helpless, paralysed from the pain. As she swung down, a hand caught her arm. It was Gin.

"Thats enough Mikana, I think you have beaten him up enough!" He said looking at me and smirking.

I growled, but then she disappeared. I saw for a moment Tosen and a blue haired arrancar, before I was falling........

"Captain!!!..........." I heard Rangiku yell.........................