014. ━ stay awake

season six // episodes twenty-three and twenty-four[ stay awake ]

[ stay awake ]

❝I'm the chief. This is my hospital.
And right now, I also have a sister
who is bleeding out.❞

[ trigger warning: mentions of guns and death ]

"REED, AS MUCH as I love you, I don't want to be late because you lost a book," Ellie called up the stairs, waiting at the front door.

"It's not a book!"

She nodded. "So, like a diary, like April's?"

Reed rolled her eyes as she came down the stairs. "You know what, I'll find it when we get home. Come on, we're gonna be late!"

"I know! I just said that!" Ellie frowned.

"Ellie!"

She groaned and sat in the passenger seat as Reed drove them to the hospital. "So, who's service are you on?" she asked her best friend.

"Hunt, I think. In the pit. You?"

Ellie shrugged. "I haven't seen the list. I might be on Derek's service, I think it's my turn to join him."

"Well, I hope you get a surgery."

"You're guaranteed to get one," Ellie said with a pout. "Lucky, you're in the pit." Reed parked the car and the two residents quickly changed into their scrubs before going their separate ways. Ellie found Derek. "Good morning, one of my overprotective brothers."

"Ellie." Derek frowned, looking at her. "Do you ever greet people normally?"

"Sure." She shrugged. "But not to you. So, what's on the agenda today?"

"Meetings," Derek replied. "Lot of meetings."

"Then... what am I doing?" she asked.

"You are going to get supplies for me."

"I am?" Ellie raised her eyebrows. "So, instead of me, a surgical resident, doing surgeries, I'm doing clerical work?"

Derek nodded, giving her a piece of paper. "Yep."

"I don't like you as chief," she said in annoyance. "I'd much rather do brain surgery." She sighed. "Fine. What do you need?"

Ellie went down to the supply hallway near the ER when she heard a noise. Thinking someone dropped something, she walked into the closet to be met with a sight that would forever haunt her dreams.

Reed, one of Ellie's first friends in Seattle and her person, pale and staring into space, a gunshot to the head.

"Oh, my God!" Ellie looked up at the sound of a person and saw Gary Clark pointing a gun at her. "Wait!"