Prologue: The promise

A/N: Hey guys, just a random idea I had for a story. Not sure if I'll continue it, so let me know if you want me to and I'll see what I can do : D

Hope you enjoy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

August 2000

Tyler Woods and Stephenie Phillips sit side by side on a large rock. They have both found refuge at Lake Lunachee from their respective miserable lives.

Tears stream down Stephenie's face as she sits beside Tyler. He places a small fist over her hand and their hands hold tightly onto one another. Stephenie is black and blue, her body marred by a number of recent traumas. Her eyes look like she has found some coal- dust and smeared them under them, testament to several late nights spent crying over the loss of her mother and several other nights hiding from her drunken angry step-father.

Tyler's hurt isn't quite as evident, his back ought to look hunched over from all the extra weight that the world has placed on it but instead all that is amiss is the haunted look in his eyes, eyes that are too old for the 11 year old that wears them. He has just discovered today that his mother and him are to be thrown out of their apartment, failure to pay rent. A sure sign that his mother has found another drug dealer to supply 'her needs' as she calls it.

Tyler stares bitterly out at the bubbling stream in front of him, his mother always took him for granted, 'She'd realise how much I do for her if I wasn't here' and there it was, the idea was borne out of spite for his mother but as it got colder and colder with both him and Steph stuck out in the dark, due to an unwillingness to go home, Tyler found it hard to displace the idea.

Eventually as the idea bloomed and took flight in his head, he turned to a numb and still crying Steph. "We could always die" He stated the fact with undue optimism.

Stephenie turned her head to him, her mind still in the image it had flitted to of her mother lying on their living room floor, a lifeless body. "What?"

"We could escape all this by dying" he once again stated the fact in very solemn tone.

"Now?" she questioned, both trepidation and relief seeping into her voice.

"Not necessarily, but it's a way we can escape this"

"Like a back-up plan?"

"Yes, exactly like a back-up plan!"

The two of them smiled at each other pleased with the opportunity to leave.

"So do you want to agree..?"

"Agree what?" Stephenie asked a thrill going through her.

"If one of us decides to die then we'll help each other to die."

"Yes, we should promise though."

"Ok, I promise if you do"

"I promise" little Stephenie proudly pronounced having no inkling that she may have just sealed her fate.