The Runaway Bride

Amidst the whirlwind of chaos, everything unfolded at lightning speed. Meerab and Murtasim found themselves swept up in the tide of events before they could even grasp their implications. Maa Begum had already kicked off the preparations for the marriage, leaving them both dizzied by the rapid sequence of events.

"It's as if one moment I was sitting beside Baba at the hospital, grappling with the reality of his condition, and in the blink of an eye, I'm here, adorned for my mehndi ceremony," Meerab's thoughts raced faster than the events around her. Her Baba still lay in the hospital, his condition serious, yet he seemed content with proceeding without his presence or even Ammi's. Meerab understood his need, but couldn't a little patience have been exercised? It felt like an uphill struggle to process this sudden twist of fate. How did she land in this situation? How did life twist and turn so dramatically? One instant she was pursuing her dream of becoming a lawyer through college admissions, the next she was en route with Murtasim, and now she's on the verge of marrying a man, who was almost a stranger to her...

Seated in the midst of the lively crowd during the mehndi ceremony, Meerab was a whirlwind of thoughts. Though surrounded by people, she felt alone, lost in contemplation. A faint voice cut through her musings - Mariyam had arrived with ubtan and the ceremonial thal. As she glanced around, she noticed Haya sitting next to her, carefully applying mehndi. Irritation surged within her at Haya's audacity. Unable to contain herself, Meerab spoke up, 

Meerub- "Mariyam, ek thal Haya ke liye bhi laga do. Bhut jald hai iski shadi, tabhi mere se pehle mehndi lagana shuru kar di." I think to myself, I've never felt territorial before. The absence of siblings has made me gullible; I often share my things, imagining what it would be like to have a sibling. But whether I'm marrying by choice or force, my husband is someone I refuse to share. If she continues like this, as she has been doing, then let's have a head-on war. With all my battles, one more won't hurt.

Amidst the silent showdown, another figure observed from afar, peering through the window. Murtasim couldn't tear his gaze away from Meerab. Clad in a simple white kurti, adorned with flowers, she seemed ethereal, as if she'd stepped out of a dream. He had seen her in various moods - from her fiery arguments to her vulnerable moments, but today, she appeared different, like an untouched canvas, awaiting the artist's first stroke.

Abruptly, another voice intruded upon his reverie,

Haya- "Main yahan aa gayi Murtasim, itna kya khayalon mein khoye hue ho?" Irritated by the intrusion, he turns to face Haya.

Murtasim-"Tumhe beemari ho gayi galat femi palne ki. Kitni baar bola hai tumse, mujhe dur rha karo. Samajh kyun nahi aata tumhe?"

 Haya lives in her own bubble - "Meerab ne humein door kar dia Murtasim, warna tum mere paas hi aate. par tum fikar mat karo, main meeru-"

His icy glare silenced her, and he gritted his teeth, Murtasim- Meerub ke sar ka ek baal bhi hila na haya, toh main bhul jaunga ki maa begum ne khala ko wada kiya tha, tumhe mehfooz rkhne ka!!!

Meanwhile, unbeknownst to Murtasim, Meerab's eyes flared as she witnessed his conversation with Haya. She questioned whether his claims of not having feelings for Haya were genuine or just fleeting words. The mere thought of Murtasim's attention diverting to someone else kindled a fiery anger within her. She felt an overwhelming desire to rush over and snatch her hand away from him.

Lost in her own internal struggles, Meerab didn't notice that Maa Begum had commenced the ceremony, calling for Murtasim to sit beside her. He took his place, completely oblivious to the brewing storm in Meerab's heart. Seated beside her, Murtasim's presence brought Meerab some relief, even though a hint of irritation lingered as to why he talked with Haya.