Chapter 9 - Once Upon a Jack

Hana had never been in a Jack in the Box, before. It was a burger joint, evidently. After all of that running, she could use a drink, if nothing else. Skimming the menu, she approached a screen that would allow her to order. Her options were easy enough, though the more she looked, the more food sounded really good, too. It was almost to the point that her stomach was starting to speak up. In the end, she ordered a Twisted Strawberry Cooler with a Spicy Sriracha Burger meal.

As she searched out a table, she noticed a woman kept looking at her. Was she bothering her, somehow? Hana kept looking at her when she noticed, but the woman would quickly avert her head. It was annoying. Hana took a table that wasn't easily viewed from the windows and curled over her food. Luckily, since it was actually cold outside, the running didn't cause her to become excessively sweaty. Even so, it made her want a shower.

The drink and food were like heaven. Almost half of the cooler was gone before she took her first bite. She kept feeling the woman's eyes on her. Hana had been about to say something, until she saw that the woman had come over. For an American woman, she didn't look much older than her, with dark chestnut hair and pale olive skin. She had a pretty face, but was loaded down in boring, shapeless clothes. "Excuse me. I couldn't help but notice when you came here. Are you okay?"

Hana frowned, taking a bite of the burger. For a moment, she considered pretending like she didn't speak English very well, but that may be seen through, given that she had ordered the meal. She wasn't really in the mood for nosy people. "I was running, then I got hungry. Call the fucking cops."

The woman appeared briefly surprised, then she laughed, "Oh, okay. You just... seemed like you might need help." She began digging around into pockets before finding what she was looking for. She handed Hana a small card, "My names Melisande... Mel to most. Or Sandy, or Lissa, or whatever... anyway, I volunteer at the local church, they have programs to help..."

Hana was more than irritated, now. She was insulted. Grabbing her handbag, she held it up, speaking louder than she had anticipated. "Do you know what this is? It's a Givenchy! A fucking Givenchy! Have you ever heard of that fucking brand?" When Melisande shook her head, she continued, "This bag cost more than you probably make in a month."

Melisande had stepped back, folding her hands before her and seeming to have the good sense to be embarrassed. "I'm sorry." Her voice sounded meek, quiet. This girl was the type that tended to piss Hana off. "You just... looked like you were running away from something... or someone."

When she said that, Hana paused, looking down at her food. Sliding the card into the bag, she made her voice softer, "I'm fine... thanks for the concern."

Melisande had already started to walk back to her table. The workers were talking among themselves about the blow-up. It wasn't like Hana actually needed any help, right? Soon enough, the woman left. For a while, Hana did her best not to think at all. But, as thought began to slip its way in, here and there, she realized that she didn't have anywhere to go. She could find a place to stay, but it would either leave a paper trail, or be potentially dangerous. She had stayed at random strangers' houses in Japan, but she knew that it was not as safe, here.

Pulling the card she was handed out, she flipped it around in her fingers a few times. Then she pulled out her iPhone and dialed the number. When it was picked up, background sounds told her that the woman was still out on the road. "Hello? This is Melisande."

"Melisande... I'm Hana. You gave me your card at Jack in the Box."

"Ah, yes! What can I do for you, Hana?"

Hana sighed, "I do need help. I'm... sort of running away."

A brief pause followed.

"Hello?"