Four: The Sweet Taste of Forgivness

𝘍𝘰𝘳𝘨𝘪𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘦𝘴𝘴: 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘢𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘰𝘳 𝘱𝘳𝘰𝘤𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘰𝘧 𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘨𝘪𝘷𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘰𝘳 𝘣𝘦𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘨𝘪𝘷𝘦𝘯.
-

I set the gun's barrel on my temple, my finger on the trigger, I repeat, "Steady.. steady..." and finally, "Bang." I'm dead.

"Mickey, where's my brush?" Mandy barges through the door.

"How the fuck do I know?" I shove the gun underneath the bed. "Get out of my room."

"What are you doing?" She asks.

"Nothing." I say, tying my shoes and grabbing my backpack. "Don't worry about me." I push by her to leave the room. She follows after me, bombarding me with a million questions that aren't her business at all.

"I don't know where your brush is. Ask Iggy or something, he's always stealing things."

"Mick!" She exclaims.

I turn around, "What?!"

"I'm really glad you're back." There's a sense of genuineness in her voice. It takes a lot of strength for me to not walk away.

"I'm glad, too." I think I've mastered the skill of lying. "I'll be back soon, alright?"

She nods and waves. I leave the house and head to a very special destination. A place I haven't been to in a while.

-

Again, the day is silent. The sun is hot and the water is inviting. I've always wondered what it would feel like to drown. It's a long way down, I think.

I watch the water for some time. It moves calmly, relaxingly. Hours may have passed before I finally decide to leave. On my way, I'm stopped by a familiar freckled face. "Ian." I say.

He's already holding his notepad up with words prewritten.

I'M SORRY.

I laugh. "Isn't that what I'm supposed to be saying?"

He flips the page and writes something else: I have something to tell you

I hesitate a little bit. "Okay."

He starts writing and at the same time he finishes and is about to show me, I say something.

"I'm planning on killing myself."

His face goes pale. I read what he wrote and mine does too.

I forgive you.

Regret courses through my veins. If only there were a way to take back words. I wish I never said anything at all.

Why? He writes.

I swallow a lump in my throat. "I don't know."

Don't do it. Please.

"I'm already going to."

He circles Don't.

"It doesn't matter" I whisper, turning to face the water again.

He writes: Let me help you.

"I think it's too late." I say. "I just came back to tell you that I'm sorry. You're the only person I really wanted to tell."

We exchange looks of despair. I start to lean into him, my hand finding it's way on the back of his head. A second before I do something else that I regret, I back away. "I'll see you." I say and leave.

-

Mickey: The world is an unforgiving place.. but he forgave me.