chapter II

: ̗̀➛ੈ✩‧₊˚

— daylight !chapter two ; o captain! my captain!

daylight !
chapter two ; o captain! my captain!

THE BELL RINGS FOR THE FIRST CLASS OF THE DAY, and everyone floods out into the halls

THE BELL RINGS FOR THE FIRST CLASS OF THE DAY, and everyone floods out into the halls. I check my timetable in my hand, careful not the trip on the crowded stairs. Chemistry.

Mr. McAllister, who is making his way up the staircase, yells, "Slow down, boys and girls. Slow down, you horrible phalanx of pubescence!"

Finally, I find my classroom and take a seat at one of the shared desks. I open my notebook, slipping a pen from my blazer pocket.

Someone sits in the seat next to me, but I pay no mind. That is, until they tap their pencil on my hand. I look up, Neil right next to me.

"Oh, good morning, Neil," I say, setting down my pen.

Neil smiles, "Good morning to you too, Emmeliah. It seems we have the same Chemistry class."

"It seems we do." I nod.

The teacher walks in, shushing everyone. He talks for a while, then tells some students to hand out textbooks. As they are handing out the books, the teacher explains what we are to do. "Pick three laboratory experiments from the project list and report on them every five weeks," he says. "The first 20 questions at the end of chapter one are due tomorrow."

At his last statement, everyone in the class groans. Neil and I share an annoyed and exasperated glance.

Next, in Latin, I find myself sitting next to Neil again. McAllister recites Latin words, and we repeat them. Then, "Again, please." And we say the words with him.

I have only ever done French, so the Latin came a little hard for me, but Neil was there, and so was Meeks, to help me out.

In trigonometry, I'm sitting next to the window, already trying to keep myself awake for the lesson.