Grim Reminder

*The Reader POV is unpacking a lot of trauma this chapter. Please take your own mental health into consideration before reading, and heed the trigger warnings. <3

WARNING: Trauma and self-loathing, intrusive thoughts, description of a panic attack, bullying, allusions to child abuse, claustrophobia, violence and injury

---

A/N: This is a Reader-Insert fanfic, so I'll be using a few abbreviations. Here's a key:

Y/N = Your Name

Avatar = Your codename

Other Notes: Reader is she/her and I pretty much write out Kurt's accent, replacing w's with v's and th's with z's. If it turns out it's too hard for people to read that way, I'll change it.

Enjoy! :)

---

Sickly green light filters in and out through his eyelids. He can't feel his feet touching the ground. Is he floating? As consciousness ebbs in, the pain grows. His bones are on fire. Where is he?

'Danger!' His instincts scream. Claws emerge from his knuckles, and he slashes through the glass holding him inside. Liquid pours out with him. Freedom.

Without hesitation he rips free of the tubes leeching off his body. But there's a sound, a piercing alarm and lights. He needs to run. He needs to escape.

They try to stop him but he keeps going, through them if he has to. Eventually he's not running across metal floors, but snowy ground. A forest. A mountain.

'Danger, danger, danger..' There's something behind him.

An animal in a corner, he growls and tears his claws into them.

---

"Gah!" Logan gasps as he hits the floor, his head pounding. There's a ringing in his ears that takes a moment to subside. His vision clears and he realizes he just fell out of bed.

That's right.. He's at the Institute. He's not... wherever he thought he was.

He reaches for his forehead as he sits up, an ache still persisting. 'Just a stupid nightmare. Get yourself under control.' Logan's never been very good at relaxing. In his experience, there's always something around the corner. And though the nightmare is over, his instincts are still on high alert.

'Danger, danger, danger..' They hum quietly in the background.

Logan looks at the clock. 4:27 am. He grumbles and gets up.

'Might as well start the day.'

And if the dull headache is anything to go by, it's going to be a bad one.

---

Kitty yawns, wincing as her alarm goes off. She sleepily reaches to switch her phone off, but accidentally phases through it. "No!" She gasps, sitting up and grabbing it, "C'mon, please.." The screen glitches and goes black. Kitty throws her head back on her pillow and groans. Unfortunately, phasing through electronics or computers usually messes them up, as she's found out the hard way multiple times.

Unrelated note: Never phase through a toaster.

And so begins Kitty's no good, horrible, very bad day here at the Institute. Still hazy from sleep, she grabs a towel and heads for the bathroom hoping a nice shower can wake her up. However, she neglects to read the sign hanging on the doorknob and walks right through, meeting a half-dressed, angry Rogue on the other side.