Are you alright Merlin?

45 minutes after Merlin was supposed to meet Arthur he comes running into the training yard, limping and apologizing profoundly. Arthur was battling with Gwaine, testing his technique.

"I'm so, so, so sorry sire" Merlin murmured as he came up behind Arthur. The knight put his sword back into his belt and turned to meet his man-servant with a grin.

"Merlin, Merlin its fine-"Arthur started before noticing how bruised and battered the poor man was. "What in the world has happened to you?" Arthur asked gasping. Gwaine stood behind Arthur staring at the injured Merlin, his nose was bloody, his check was bruised and something was clearly wrong with his leg.

"It's nothing, I'm just really clumsy" Merlin lied forcing a smile and casually covering his cheek with his hand.

"That's not nothing" Arthur insisted pulling Merlin's hand away. Arthur placed his thumb on his man-servants bruised cheek as gently as he could and let out a sympathizing noise as Merlin flinched away. All Arthur wanted to do was pull Merlin into a hug, kiss him and look after him but he was also very painfully aware of the six or seven other knights standing around.

"Arthur, trust me it was just an accident" Merlin pleaded, his eyes filling with tears. Arthur removed his hand from Merlin's face and stared at him lovingly, he hated seeing him in pain.

"I have to help you" Arthur replied, not knowing what else he could actually say with all the knights around.

"I'm the man-servant, I have to help you" Merlin smiled weakly, Arthur just grinned back. Merlin was always willing to help everyone else but he could never accept help when he needed it.

"You're the one that needs the help" Arthur whispered before turning to his knights. "Training will continue tomorrow at noon. Have the day off, go down to the tavern if you must" Arthur laughed and the other knights thanked him before leaving. Once all the knights were gone Arthur hugged Merlin tightly and whispered comforting things in his ear. As Arthur pulled out of the hug he rested his hand on Merlin's side but he flinched away again. Arthur looked at him puzzled before pulling up Merlin's shirt and revealing a huge purple bruise. Arthur felt a shiver go down his spine, "god that must hurt" he thought.

"You cannot tell me that was an accident" Arthur argued, gesturing to the bruise. Merlin just looked away from his lover and didn't say anything. After a moment Arthur placed his arms around Merlin's back and legs and picked him up wedding-bride style. Merlin let himself laugh as he lay in Arthur's arms.

"Arthur, what are you doing you clot-pole?" Merlin asked, wrapping his arms around Arthur's neck.

Grinning, Arthur explains, "Well I'm going to take you up to my chambers and I'm going to clean you up and look after you" Merlin was about to protest but Arthur cut him off, "And you aren't going to complain or say no because I can't have you working for me when you're in pain. Plus I'm sure cleaning the floor isn't that hard" Arthur joked.

"Fine" Merlin gave in, genuinely smiling back, "But you can't take me back like this because people will see"

Arthur sighed before gently putting Merlin back down and positioning his arm under Merlin's back and shoulders to help him walk back to his chambers.