18. Unearthing what's lost

A big final thank you to my editors: Lil_proto, Kranfoel, Delta-Soldier and McHanz. The ones who helped me get this entire story out. (I admit...I was hesitant for uploading this one...An extra chapter for thoughts and documentation will be coming soon!)

*Flip*

...

"Hmm..."

...

*Flip*

Puro hums as he flips over some pages of his book, resting on his favourite beanbag.

'This is a good book for Panther to read.' Puro thinks to himself.

'AFTER Puro finishes reading it.' Puro quickly adds in.

Truth be told, Puro feels happy to be home, back in his territory with all of his books intact and the fox still lazing around, and his little orange tree still as healthy as ever.

Not only that, but he has a new friend now! A panther with glowing green marks, an unusual trait for a latex but no less welcoming. Puro is aware that the panther's name is Neon, but he also likes the idea of referring to her as 'Panther'.

Back in the aquarium, Puro still couldn't believe that he heard telepathy from Neon herself, something he had thought to be impossible...and yet somehow...she did.

Puro understands Neon's strange powers are something that she struggles to control herself, she even blames herself for the conflict between him and Human. He knew it wasn't her fault, despite the fact he struggles to understand the situation himself.

Afterwards, Puro saw Neon as a lost latex who just wanted to have a friend...and Puro...a lonely latex...identified with that. Ever since then, Puro has taken Neon under his wing and brought her to his home, in hopes to establish some communication with her. Puro decided the best way to communicate was to speak, and the best way to learn? Reading books.

It was difficult at first, communicating to her via gestures to suggest his idea to her but she managed to understand and thus began her journey of learning how to talk.

Unfortunately, Puro quickly realized that the book he was providing was a wee bit too much for Neon to handle. He then resorted to smaller and simpler books, trying to guide her along the way. Luckily, Puro still had an education programme designed to help teach users how to speak, he no longer had any need to use the thing since he already learned how to talk, but Neon could benefit so much from it.

After inserting the disk (along with a few trial and errors to get the programme working), Puro introduced Neon to the strange talking orange, who registered Neon as its new user and began teaching her how to speak.

At first, Neon was terrified of the talking digital orange...but after some encouragement and assurance, Puro managed to get Neon to warm up to it.

'Neon is doing so well!' Puro thought to himself.

Sure, Neon still had a long way to go...but hearing Neon speak a new word always brought joy to the black wolf.

Despite all of this...there is still something that troubles him to this day...the very words that Human yelled out to him.

"YOU KILLED HIM!"

What...what does Human mean by that? Was everything he said true? Did he really partake in killing his brother? Everything about it strikes him as odd...it just doesn't make sense! Puro would NEVER have done such a thing, would he??

'That's not Puro...Puro is a good latex! A good latex wolf!' Puro assures himself, trying to read his book.

Yet the Human's recollection...the strange behaviour of his kin back in the nest...the Elder's refusal to entertain his questions about the past...it all points to him being a killer...but is it really true?