Chapter 2 - New Guidance

We sat in a small room surrounded by about 5 chairs. I shuffled back into my seat when I heard the door squeak, my heart stopped. I was so nervous, having to meet new people and start new things. Worst of all actually waking up every morning knowing my mother won't be there to wake me up, to make my breakfast and to pack my lunch.

A strange man walked in, which I assumed was the principal. He had dark brown hair, blue eyes, and was dressed in a grey suit with an orange tie. I thought to myself; what is he wearing? Was he the principal? Who dresses him? His mother? Many thoughts went through my head until I was nudged by my dad.

"Hi I'm Mr Waters, the Fernwood College principal, you must be Em? Am I right?"

"Y..y...yeah I am Em." I shrugged.

"Nice to meet you Em, welcome to the school."

He handed me a piece of paper that seemed to have had a bit of a graph with each day of the week written on it, with what I assumed was my classes for each day every week.

"These will be your classes for the day, double science, double English, and double cooking." Mr Waters said looking down at his notebook. "I have a spare timetable here, just incase you were to lose that one, but I prefer you not to lose it." He mumbled.

I thought I was hearing things, but I heard a strange but familiar sort of ringing noise. "Alright Em, it's now starting period 2 for class. You won't be going to class, I have someone from your home group coming up to the office to show you around before recess."

Just after he finished his sentence, there was a faint knock at the door, Mr Waters looked towards the door looking a bit confused. He got up walking towards the door shutting it behind him, I heard faint mumbling but went off in my own thoughts.

"Alright Em, the girl who was originally showing you around today is away sick, but we have someone in replacement." In walked a tallish boy with blonde hair. He looks familiar? I thought to myself.

"Hi Em, nice to meet you, my name is Luke, Luke Hemmings to be exact." while putting out his hand to shake mine.

"Wow his.. his..wow," I said to myself a little to loudly.

"What?" He said looking a little too confused.

"Oh nothing, s.. sorry, my name is Em, nice to meet you."

"Alright Luke, could you please show Em around, and show her where all the classrooms are."

Luke walked out with me trailing behind him. "Bye dad" I said waving.

"Bye sweetheart, have a great day, ill pick you up from the office at 3.30."

"So Em, what brings you to this school" he said looking down at me.

Should I tell him? Will he think I'm a complete idiot? Will he care?

"Oh, I moved from my mums to live with dad" I said trying not to give any hints away.

"What classes do you have for period 3, 4, 5 and 6?"

I handed him my crinkled up timetable frankly because I had no idea how to read it. He looked up smiling. "Looks like we are spending the rest of today together."

"Alright, this is our classroom for the rest of the day" he said looking through the window of the classroom.

"Great" I said in a sarcastic voice.

"It'll be fine, I've got 3 friends I'd love you to meet."

Friends? Me?

"Em? Hello?" He said sounding worried as I slowly snapped out of my thoughts that were going through my brain.