This Is A City Not A Cave

Robin was out patrolling, without his father or anybody else attached to his side for once. He may have snuck out to do so, but he felt that he should have a bit more freedom. Even with the new superhuman around, he was more than capable of taking care of himself. After all, he was trained by both assassins and Gotham’s own dark knight. He may be young, but he was not weak. He would prove that.

As the young boy traveled above the restless streets of Gotham, taking the rooftops as a more mobile way to get around, he saw how quiet it was that night. Not sound wise, no, the city was quite loud, but crime wise, there was hardly anybody out. It was odd, but Damian was not upset over this, knowing that this could be proof of the city improving. Although, he was hoping for a chance to prove that he was able to defend for himself.

Scoffing at his own foolish thoughts, Damian continued at a more leisurely pace, taking in the city for all it had to offer. The moon held itself high in the inky sky, fighting against the heavy blanket of smog so it could shine through and provide some light to the city. No stars could be seen, and Damian couldn’t help but feel a part of him pity the stars, as their brilliant display would not be seen by the people. It was a sad truth, but there was a small wishing thought in the boy’s brain that one day the sky would change. That he would be the one to make that change, slowly but surely, opening up the beauty being held back once more. It was almost as wistful thinking as trying to get rid of all crime in the city.

Robin stared down at the streets once more, taking in how the darkness seemed to stretch, holding the city in its grasps. His thoughts began to wander back to the supposed superhuman, and if there was a chance that he was hiding in the darkness. Damian puffed up at the thought, his pride insisting that he would know if there was a mysterious teen with glowing eyes nearby. Afterall, three of the other members in the bat brood have already met, perhaps even more.

Although only Duke had reported seeing the superhuman, he knew that Todd and Drake had seen him as well. He saw how cautious Todd had appeared at the meeting, his body language tightly structured to try and look casual, failing miserably. Then he saw how Drake was openly glaring at his predecessor, as if he was trying to peel apart the other and have all his suspicions answered. It turned out that his -siblings- teammates were terrible at keeping secrets, or perhaps it was his far superior observing skills that they lacked.

Except for Cassandra, she appeared to have noticed something was off as well, joining the meeting only to observe the blatant mess of lies and secrets that were unfolding. He knew that Father must have noticed as well, because there was no way the man hadn’t. It was probably another reason he seemed wary, since his -children- allies were already involved without him knowing.

Robin would not be as incompetent as them, he wouldn’t seek out the superhuman but keep a careful watch for him, as Father ordered. Though he was curious, and hated the others having an upper hand on knowing things he didn’t. Still, if the superhuman was truly as harmless as Duke believed, then he would have to treat them like every other citizen in Gotham. He was not opposed to the idea of a superhuman in Gotham, albeit it made him more cautious as the supposed teen was an unknown at the moment. His true intention was possibly hiding underneath a scared front, tricking others that they were harmless in order to hurt them later, people have done so before. Damian felt the need to see them himself so he could decide whether or not to believe their words. Of course that would not solve all his suspicions, but it would have to satiate them as he did not have the power to force a completely innocent person for answers.

He was a vigilante, sworn to protect the innocents, which included those of other races or different species of the like.

Damian began walking once more, looking proudly at Gotham, at his city. He was one of the many who protected this place with their lives, and he would give his life for it, there was no doubt in his mind.