Chapter 1

BY the end of the day Jodi was on Mr and Mrs Hanlon's doorstep to tell their granddaughter that the party wasn't happening anymore. But instead their daughter Mrs Dolinsky answered the door, dressed in a red turtleneck paired with denim bell-bottoms. She smiled warmly the moment she laid eyes on Jodi.

"Jodi, what a pleasure to see you again."

"Likewise, Mrs Dolinsky."

"Oh, and I see congratulations are in order."

When Jodi's eyebrows knit with confusion, Willa's mother only nodded towards Jodi's white jersey that read 'SENIORS' in bold and blue varsity lettering.

"You're all growing up so fast. I dread to see little Mitchell."

"Not so little anymore," said Jodi.

"I bet."

But then she quickly diverted back to the reason she was there at all. "Is Willa in?"

"Yeah, would you like to come inside?"

"Oh, that's okay. We had plans for tonight but there's been a slight change so I thought I'd clue her in."

"All right, I'll get her for you."

"Thanks," Jodi smiled.

She heard the pattering of Mrs Dolinsky's footsteps as she headed towards what Jodi correctly assumed to be Willa's room—or more specifically Mrs Dolinsky's childhood bedroom that Willa slept in whenever she came to visit.

Not shortly long after, softer patters descended from the stairs and the door was creaking open again.

Willa was in her high school track shirt and some cotton shorts and her hair was tied back into a ponytail that her feathered bangs escaped. She squinted her eyes to the harsh light and said, "Hey," her voice hoarse and gritty.

"Were you asleep?" Jodi asked amusedly.

"Maybe," Willa replied, leaning against the edge of the door as she held onto the handle. "I figured the party would be later."

"It was supposed to be but the dude from my school got busted by his parents."

"Yikes."

Jodi crossed her arms and replied, "I know. We're all heading to the Emporium instead."

"What's that?"

"It's this pool hall everyone our age goes to here."

Before Willa could even register how she felt about the idea, Jodi interjected.

"Don't think about it, just say yes."

Willa searched Jodi's eyes. She didn't know that she could promise anything because she wasn't sure how she would feel in a couple of hours. So instead she asked, "How do I get there?"

"You remember the record store we used to roller-skate by?"

"Vaguely."

"It's like you're going there but you keep driving past it. Then the hall's down the second left and on your right. Got it?"

Willa shrugged. "If you see me you see me, if you don't you don't."

Jodi shook her head. "You're a piece of work. I'll be there around nine o'clock." She began to leave but miraculously she thought aloud, "Will you even remember the directions?"

"Gee, I dunno. I gotta have a better memory than a senior that needs to write they're a senior on a shirt."

By now, Jodi was walking across the lawn. "Go to hell."