I got you.

*****
Chapter 23 - I got you.
*****

"Thank you..." Betsy spoke quietly to Vince as she continued to look out the side window.

Vince shook it off as he drove along. "Just doing as I'm told."

Betsy turned to him slightly confused but Vince just shook his head again, focusing on the road as Betsy figured she wouldn't get anymore information out of him.

"You got other people searching up the View?" Vince asked, wanting to turn the attention back to the topic at hand.

Betsy nodded as she looked at him. "Mum and dad, my partner, Chase and his family, Esme and her family, the next door neigh-"

"Okay okay, I get it!" Vince quickly held up a hand up to silence her. "All you had to do was say yes."

"Right..." Betsy mumbled as she looked back out the windows, her eyes trying to scan the streets they were driving through as the streetlights lit them up. "I knew no-one knows these streets like you guys so figured you'd be best at helping..."

"Yeah yeah I get it..." Vince mumbled as he turned a street corner, continuing to drive along at a slow speed so they could see if they could spot Magnolia.

*****

"Fuck... Fuck... Fuck... Wake up Lia... Lia..."

Magnolia's head was pounding, as if someone had punched her harder than ever before. She felt herself finally manage a groan as she tried to lift her head.

"No no stay still." The voice came again as she tried to open her eyes. "Just take it easy, don't move. Shit this was all my fault."

Magnolia managed to open one of her eyes as she looked up, seeing Eyeball.

"Come on, I gotta get you out this car." He muttered, seemingly ignoring the blood coming from him as he tried to break her free from the seatbelt and airbag.

"Fucks sake!" He snapped as he struggled slightly.

Magnolia winced out in pain, half crying once more as he quickly pulled his knife and used it to cut her out of the car, slicing open the airbag and seatbelt. Her body instantly slumped as the belt was cut, he pulled her across the middle of the car, closer to him.

"I got you. I got you." He groaned out in pain himself as he put his hands under her arms to pull her to him better.

Magnolia cried out as Eyeball groaned out once more, yanking harder as the pair fell out of his car door, which had been busted open slightly. They landed harshly on the wet soggy dirt beneath them as they both groaned and winced out in pain.

"What the hell?!" Magnolia coughed out as she tried to move herself off Eyeball, so she wasn't crushing him anymore.

"I- I can't-" Eyeball half winced out as Magnolia looked down at him.

His eyes were shut as he had moved one of his hands to his side, pushing down hard as Magnolia felt the horror flood through her, she saw blood... A lot of blood.

"Sir you're-" She paused as she forced her hand to half lift up his shirt.

There, sticking out of his side was a few shards of glass, seemingly having come from either the front windscreen or his window.

"Go... Go get..." Eyeball mumbled as he winced and groaned again, his body almost instinctively trying to push itself away from her.

"Sir I..." Magnolia managed to say as she looked down at her own body.

Yet there was no way she had the strength or the energy to stand. Her body collapsed beside his on the cold wet earth.

"I'm sorry..." Eyeball whispered out, his eyes still shut tightly from the pain.

"Me... Me too..." Magnolia whispered as her eyes shut.

The pair fell back into an unconscious state, now laying outside on the dirt as the car was crumpled and broken beside them.

Eyeball had wanted to show and tell Magnolia about the summer of 1959. The summer that Ace had pulled a knife on Chris and all Eyeball did was say Ace's name. He didn't fight Ace, he didn't shout at Ace.

He made no real effort to protect his younger brother. The burden he'd been carrying around for years and years. The day his relationship with Chris completely fell apart. The day he chose Ace over Chris.

He had only wanted to show and tell Magnolia. Yet now, he was laying passed out with her, in the very spot that all those years ago Ace had held the knife against Chris's neck.

In the spot where the youngest Chambers had faced death, now it was Eyeball's turn to face death in the spot, with Magnolia at his side. And he only had himself to blame.

*****

"The search for missing 17 year old Magnolia Markes has now spread into it's second evening after reports the girl was last seen yesterday afternoon. Her family and friends spent last night searching for her whereabouts until contacting the police early this morning."

"Magnolia is the daughter of Jameson Markes, current owner and CEO of Markes Real Estate, complimented with winning Best Realtors for 5 years running along the west coast."

"The search was quickly picked up by various members of the public as it spread throughout the town. There are, however rumours that she chose to run away with teacher, 29 year old Richard Chambers, following his disappearance last night."

"Though their disappearances have not yet been linked by the police and search parties, the rumours are already beginning to spread, however they have been squashed by Chambers's girlfriend and fellow teacher Hayley Nash."

"Anyone with news on either disappearance is urged to get in contact with the police or respective family members."

"That's all from us at CR news at 10pm, we'll be back tomorrow morning at 6, goodnight."

The TV screen in the bar went black.