Chapter 2

"I still can't believe we missed the first bell." I say for probably the tenth time as Theo and I leave the school after our last class.

"Probably because someone was screeching like a banshee when it went." Theo mutters under his breath.

I turn and glare at him,

"Do you want me to hit you again? Because you are on a roll with the insults today."

Theo puts his hands up in surrender.

"Sorry, sorry. I would never want to offend you."

I roll my eyes and flip my hair over my shoulder.

"That's more like it. Now, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to go home and you are my chauffeur for the day."

"Just today?"

"Always."

"That's because you're scared of driving." Theo accused.

"Am not." My jaw drops.

Following up on my earlier threat, I reach to hit Theo in the shoulder but he conveniently dodges it. He laughs and runs off towards the truck. He unlocks it and jumps in, shutting the door and locking it as I come up to the window. I glare at him as he sat there, catching his breath and laughing.

"Coward." I say.

"Please, anyone who had to look at you would be scared." He yells at me through the window, "You're one crazy bitch."

I glare at Theo, pretending to not be amused at our friendly banter.

"Let me in, Theo." I say as sweetly as possible.

Theo unlocks the truck without any hesitation. The second I see he's unlocking it, I run around the front as fast as I can but right before I open the door, Theo locks the truck again.

"Brooks!" I put my hands on my hip and stomp my foot.

Theo's basically lying across the seats laughing his head off. I fight to keep the smile off my face even though I'm supposed to be annoyed at Theo's insistence to keep me out of the truck. I stand there tapping my foot, waiting for over two minutes for Theo to settle down. Finally, Theo lets me in and I climb into the truck with a scowl on my face.

"You're so dead."

"Aw, come on, Cass." he pleads, giving me the puppy dog eyes for the second time today.

"You know those don't work on me." I mumble as I grab my seatbelt.

"Please. I really am sorry. It's just so easy to rile you up like that."

"Oh my god, Theo, just drive." I smile to myself as Theo starts up the truck.

"That has to be the highlight of my day." he says to himself as he starts to dive.

"Oh, really. You enjoy making me mad at you?"

"Yeah, but you're not really mad at me. It's all part of the act."

"What act?" I ask quietly.

He doesn't answer and I spend the rest of the drive wondering about how much Theo actually knows.

"Is that Cassie Reynolds?" Alicia asks as I open the front door to Theo's house. I drop my dirty shoes on the porch as I walk inside.

"Who else would it be?" I call back, walking into the Brooks' TV room where Alicia is sitting on the couch.

Every time I see her, I feel a pain in my chest. At first, you couldn't tell she was sick, but no one would be able to miss it now.
Alicia is sitting under a blanket watching a movie. Her hair was cut short, the long dark waves now a pixie cut. Her body looked delicate and if not for her blue eyes, I wouldn't be able to recognize her. I walk over to her, her face lighting up as I come in for a hug.