Chapter 2: Dream Project.

Name: Katori Pearls
Age: 16
Date: January 27th, 1989.
Location: New York.
Cover Art: Persepholeeh on Deviantart. 

~~~

"Everyone. Please look at the board."

That sentence cut through the ambient noise of everyone writing in notebooks or reading books. Across the chalkboard were the words "Dream Project." Murmurs started to float the room as students whispered to one another. The teacher tapped the board with her yardstick. "I have a new project for you. We just started this class in a new semester but need to refocus. I want you to listen closely. The project is no ordinary assignment. Personal is more of the word. Something fun."

A student raised his hand. "What do you mean, Miss Dole?" Mrs. Dole cleared her throat. "I was about to explain that. The project will be of your choosing. What makes you....you? The catch is that you have to combine it with this class. It will be a dual project. Pick another class you like added with some personal touches. For example, let's say you like Math. You can write a paper on a certain equation. The possibilities are endless. Creativity is limited if you are. Free your mind up and possibly learn more about yourself than you knew. The project will take up all your time in this class. Yes, I mean it. The rest of the school year. So no more homework from me."

"So the rumors about her classes are true," Kat said as she held her head up with her elbow. The girl that just spoke has been my best friend since middle school. The girl with purple highlights and a cat-like style of clothes. Protective but also playful. "They said getting this teacher in English will be much more fun than the others. I already like the sound of no homework. Sounds free range." Filing her nails, she yawned. "Less stress too. I am glad we got the class together. As for the project, creativity comes out of your ears, Cherry. I have no idea what I am going to do, though."

Cherry looked up toward the ceiling before looking back at her friend. "Oh! I know. What about theatre and English? You could talk about your talents. Mix a hobby with a class project. Get a good grade while having fun."

Kat peered over at her with yellow eyes. "Not bad, sis. Thanks. I will think about it. Now that I am thinking about it..what if I develop an original dance routine? Talk about how much work goes into something like that. Also, you don't have to film for me. I don't want you to be overworked. I have appreciated you helping me with that since the year started. I'll do the filming myself."

"Only if you are sure, sis." Cherry said while smiling. "I see a determined look on you. You will knock it out of the park. I will think about what I want to do for the next couple of days, Brainstorm for a while. So when we have English Class we can work on our projects. Which is good."

"We can do this." Kat said as she stretched. "I will write some notes and then nap for the rest of the class. I was up all night trying to get into a summer camp for dancers. They said someone could go free this year if they put in the effort. I want to be that person. Sure, it is months ahead but I don't want to be beat to the punch. Now this project might unironically help me get to this camp. If I don't make it then I can still add all this to my portfolio."

"I will be there for you all the way, sis." Cherry said as she high-fived Kat. Kat then said she would do the same for her. The two started to write frantically in their notebooks before the ideas started to get away from them. Fresh ideas on a page are always exciting. Looks like English class will be fun this year."

20 minutes passed.

Students were working on the outline of the projects in hushed whispers—the tone of the atmosphere mixed in a variety. Excitement was on some students' faces as they happily talked about ideas. Others, however, were more nervous about getting a passing grade or needing to know what to write. Mrs. Dole helped pushed some in the right direction by asking them questions. No one wanted to be left behind at the start.