All the Truths

Ellie's ears were ringing, her breathing was heavy and shallow. John Walker had fled the scene moments ago. Where? They didn't know. Sam was currently on the phone with the police. Someone else had called EMTs who were arriving shortly, Ellie knew this because the sirens were mixed in with the ringing in her ears. The crowd had not dispersed, their panicked and fearful voices were muffled to Ellie. At some point between hiding her face in Bucky's chest and the sound of the ambulance sirens, Ellie had ended up seated on the ground. Bucky kneeled in front of her and talked her through the panic attack. 

"Ellie, listen to me," Bucky held her face in his hands. "Take in a deep breath." 

Ellie attempted to inhale a deep breath but her throat closed and she felt choked. 

"I can't breathe-" Ellie began. "I can't breathe-" 

"I know it's hard," Bucky assured her. "Breathe with me, we've done this before, take a breath." 

They both inhaled, though Ellie was more shaky than Bucky and she barely got any air into her lungs. Bucky exhaled and she followed suit, but her shallow breaths continued. Ellie shut her eyes. The only thing on her mind was the sight of John Walker holding the Shield up over his head and bringing it down on Nico. The Shield. The Shield was meant to bring feelings of peace, freedom, and safety. John Walker used it as a weapon for his own gains. Now innocent blood was spattered on the side of it. 

"Ellie, open your eyes," Bucky said. "Look at me, baby, open your eyes." 

Ellie did as he said and she looked at his calm face. His remarkably calm face despite what they had just witnessed. Bucky was more angry than anything, but he had to focus on Ellie and he forced out a gentle smile. 

"Remember those flowers outside my place in Wakanda?" Bucky asked. Ellie gave a small nod and she blinked through her tears. "Think about how sweet they smelled every morning, remember that smell, and breathe in through your nose." Ellie closed her eyes and inhaled through her nose. The ghost of the flowers' scent filled her. "Good, now breathe out." 

Ellie breathed out a cloud of vapor. Her breath was still shaky but at least it wasn't hyperventilating. Ellie opened her eyes and frowned. Bucky let go of her face and held her hands. 

"How are you feeling?" He asked.

"I think I'm gonna be sick," she mumbled. 

"Well, if you're gonna be sick then be sick," Bucky replied. "No shame in that." 

Ellie swallowed and felt saliva gather in her mouth. Her stomach churned and she fought off the urge to vomit. She shook her head to let Bucky know that she wasn't going to be sick. The ringing in her ears subsided and she glanced around. As she turned her head to the right, Bucky placed his hand on her cheek and turned her head back to him. 

"Let's not look that way," he said. 

Ellie quickly understood what he meant and she nodded. Sam set down his phone and looked at the two on the ground. He gave a sympathetic look to Ellie and Bucky caught his eye. 

"Let me know when you're ready," Sam said. "I told the police that we would extract Walker, they didn't give us long." 

Bucky gave an understanding nod and he turned his attention back to Ellie. She took in another deep breath and exhaled. In her head, she was counting down from 5. She squeezed Bucky's hands to indicate that she was ready to stand.

5...

Bucky helped her to her feet and she stood upright. She still held onto Bucky's hands. 

4...