Take Better Care

Thank you so much to rebe4107 for this prompt after I asked for some ideas on the Red, White and Royal Blue (Book & Movie) Facebook Group. This was right up my street of fanfic to write, and I hope as my first Red, White and Royal Blue fanfic y'all like it enough to request more and give me more ideas for future fics!
My fanfic writing is a lot slower nowadays as I'm now working on my second novel and that takes up all my time as it's my main job. Hope you can all understand ^^
If you want to know more about my upcoming novel visit www.lilylaverick.com

~

There was a pleasant breeze that swept through his hair. It was longer now since living in the brownstone; away from the palace Henry was able to loosen the tie on his title's need for impeccable appearance. Anyway, protocol or whatever can go stuff it. Alex seemed to like grabbing as much of his hair as he could when they had special sleepy mornings together so he could smash their lips together and keep them there. Henry smiled and his chest warmed at the memory of Alex doing just that that morning. He'd been half asleep, but his need to merge the two of them together in a tangle of limbs, kisses and other activities had been very strong. It had been the best kind of morning.

Fishing the keys out of his pocket, the jingle jangle was music to his ears.

"I'm home!" Henry called out, tossing his keys onto the sideboard.

Nine months ago, he told Alex he'd bought a brownstone and since, he still found it hard to believe this place was his—had been his, no, now it was theirs. If he was being frank with himself; he'd bought it with the intention of it already being theirs.

It was home, their home.

David came running from the kitchen, ears flapping and tongue hanging out, wet from a recent drink of water. His claws click-clacking on the hardwood floor. Henry crouched so fast his knees popped.

"Hey boy! Have you been a good boy? Of course you have! Who's a good boy!? You are, yes you are!" he cooed in a baby voice, scratching David behind the ear and then his belly when he flopped over onto his back. His feet kicked the air like he was swimming. Henry laughed and pressed kisses to his paws.

Two years ago, if someone had told Henry he'd be living in New York with his boyfriend working on youth shelters and had finished the first draft of his first novel he certainly wouldn't never had believed them. The feel of each footstep walking into his home, his keys unlocking the front door with a 'History Huh?" keyring hanging off them, the excited welcome from David...

Henry frowned, getting to his feet. Something was missing.

Usually, when he got in late, he'd be greeted with a second pair of footsteps. Those heavier and soak clad; either pounding down the stairs, coming from the kitchen, or living room.

Since living together, Alex had shown a whole new side to him only Henry boar witness to. A more unguarded, playful side. One where he'd parody David's enthusiasm; come running at Henry, jumping so his legs were around Henry's waist, and licking the side of his face, repeatedly.

Usually, Henry squirmed, groped Alex's arse for his own pleasure, then would drop him for licking like the animal he was—no offence to David.

Other than David's tail hitting the sideboard, the rest of the house was quiet. No tv with a news channel on, no random electronic with some interview or ever. No music Alex sometimes put on while reading to the fill the silence.

There was only David to greet him and that was brief too because at the same moment Henry released his favourite person in the world wasn't going to greet him David quickly took off up the stairs. Henry followed, nearly tripping on David with his hurried steps.