Wattpad Original
There are 5 more free parts

xv. - hijack.

- - - - - - SEPTEMBER 2, 2023 - - - - -

St. Petersburg, Florida 2:00 p.m.

"REMIND ME AGAIN why this is my problem," said Paul, gesturing toward the vending machine Silas claimed was broken.

"Everyone uses this vending machine," said Silas. "What are we supposed to do when we get hungry? You can't study on an empty stomach, Paul."

Paul resisted the urge to say something he would regret in front of a student. Instead, he simply let out a sigh. "Did you try calling maintenance?"

"Oh, good idea," said Silas.

"Right then," said Paul, turning on his heel to return to his office. "Glad we could solve the issue."

"Wait!"

Paul rolled to a stop, clenching his teeth together so hard his jaw was beginning to ache. "Yes?"

"I forgot my phone in your office."

"So?"

"So... will you stay here and warn everybody that tries to get something that it's broken until I get back? I'll be quick."

Paul didn't know anything about this kid, but he was acting awfully strange for an Agent of Time. Harmless, but strange. He nodded tersely. "All right."

"Thank you, sir," said Silas, taking off down the hallway. "We thank you for your service."

Paul scanned the selection of items in the vending machine. He was tired of babysitting these kids. As soon as their mission was complete, Paul would be quick to leave this world behind for something infinitely better.

- - - - - - SEPTEMBER 2, 2023 - - - - -

St. Petersburg, Florida 2:05 p.m.

SILAS COULDN'T HELP but smirk as he walked away from Paul. He couldn't believe how easy it had been to play dumb and get away with it. And now, he had a clear shot on goal: Paul's empty office.

He knew he couldn't be gone long, so he set to work immediately. Tugging the bug Lilia had gotten for him out of his pocket, Silas secured it directly underneath Paul's chair. Then, he took a seat and clicked around on Paul's computer until he found the security footage of the time capsule.

Please, please, please...

The footage was choppy and hazy from the capsule's fog, but Silas could make out Ivan pacing back and forth in front of it and two soon saw an individual approach him. June. They did it.

Silas closed the tab, returned the chair to its original position, and was in the process of opening the door when he ran straight into—

"Paul?"

Silas willed himself not to freak out as Paul held up a bag of Doritos. "Your vending machine is fine."

"You fixed it? How?" Silas asked, hoping the dumb blonde look he was playing still worked.

"I put money in it." Damn, this man had no humor. "Now if you would excuse me, you're blocking the doorway and I have work to do."

"Apologies, sir," said Silas, though he remained squarely in the doorway.

"Silas."

"Yes, sir?"

"Get out of the way."

"Right. Sorry, sir." Silas ducked into the hallway and let out a nervous breath as the door shut behind Paul. He could only hope that the time he'd bought was enough.