Wattpad Original
There are 14 more free parts

vi - decode.

- - - - - - AUGUST 31, 2023 - - - - -

Tampa, Florida 10:40 p.m.

THE PLANE HADN'T taken off yet, but Rowan was already ready for it to land. He couldn't bring himself to be even remotely upset with Landon for volunteering them for this task. It was Rowan's fault for not sharing his crippling fear of airplanes beforehand.

"No one warned me my boyfriend would turn into a boa constrictor when he's afraid," joked Landon from the window seat.

"Shut up," whined Rowan, though he did loosen his grip on Landon's hand as best he could. That lasted for about 13 seconds before the plane roared to life beneath them and began to inch backward. "Why does my first flight ever have to be nine hours?"

"Think of a plane like a car. A very fast, flying car."

"Landon."

"Honestly, the first five minutes are the best part. After that, it's just boring."

"You're really not helping."

"You'll forget we're even in the air after a while."

"Landon."

"What?" He paused midway through his airplane rant with wide eyes. Ugh. Rowan's annoyance disappeared instantly. Who gave Landon permission to be so damn adorable?

"Can we please stop talking about airplanes?" Rowan asked softly. "Talking about the one thing that freaks me out is not making me feel better."

Landon's cheeks flushed. "Sorry."

Rowan squeezed Landon's hand again, trying his best to ignore the scary movements and sounds of the plane. The pitch-black night outside the window did little to ease his nerves, especially knowing that behind the endless abyss was the entire Atlantic Ocean.

"Walk me through this plan again?" He asked.

"By now, Theo and June should have received a message from Ivan leading them to the London Library," Landon explained. "Since it was established in 1841 and still stands today, they should be able to place their message for us in the archives somewhere where it likely won't be touched for 200 years."

"And you think all of that information can be communicated easily through Morse code?"

"I think we have to have faith in our team, just like you had faith in me," said Landon.

"I'm the most worried about the directors finding out. Why did they clear our flight to London?"

"They think we'll be passing along the information we get from June and Theo, but you and I will be feeding them false information." Was Rowan seeing things, or was Landon excited about doing something rebellious?

"Look at you, all spontaneous and defiant. If only Bonnie could see you now," joked Rowan.

Landon buried a hand in his unruly curls, though it did nothing to tame the mess. "There were a lot of things I didn't know about myself during that mission, but the one thing that has never changed is my passion for my team. I can't—I won't—allow the directors to maintain control if they're going to abuse it as they did with us. I almost lost you because of it."

"And that's why you're still here, fighting for them, even after you've graduated," said Rowan. "We look up to you, all of us."

Landon smiled softly beside him. Rowan knew Landon the compliment meant a lot to him, though he would never say it aloud.

The sound of the pilot's voice crackling through the intercom put a pause in their conversation. "Gooood evening, folks, this is your captain speaking. We're happy to have you aboard flight A320 to London. The journey looks rather smooth, though there may be a bit of turbulence as we pass over the—"