Chapter 21 - I Want To Be There So You Don't Have To Be Brave

Chapter 21

27th October 2009

Phil's POV

It's only been a day and already I miss Dan. Just the emptiness of his presence in my room is enough to make me want to hop on the next train to Reading and see him immediately. It's as though the upbeat of the house has suddenly deflated as we all mourn the presence he left behind with his humorous personality and all round niceness.

Mum demanded the second I got back home that he should join us for Christmas, even if she did pay for the travel. I quickly texted Dan this to be greeted with unreadable excitement (something along the lines of "asdfghjkl om F PHIL I dkffsDJFKL"). I suppose that was a good sign that he wanted to come back and that mum was perfectly happy with the idea. Still, that was too long of a gap before I could see Dan again.

The second he got home this morning the pair of us were on Skype to one another and remised in the memories that week had bought us. From the smaller moments we shared such as the movie nights watching scary films to the more intense and heated moments kissing each other when we travelled back to the hill and stargazed. I was absolutely smitten over Dan but I didn't want to say anything before I was certain he felt the same. Technically that was the first time we met and rushing into more serious stuff such as relationships would be silly. But one could dream.

We'd already uploaded our video together and already people were falling in love with Dan. They adored him! They found him hilarious and entertaining (whilst also stating how 'sexy' he was. I may have felt a pang of jealousy about those comments though... It felt weird that people were looking at Dan the same way I did despite the fact they hadn't even met him). However as I read Dan each comment over Skype, watching as his blushing cheeks grow redder with each one, it was worth the jealousy to see how happy it made him.

From what I gathered from him, not many people appreciated him, he'd told me stories of his bullies and how most people tended to forget his existence. Excluding his friends of course, however even they were off now getting new relationships and leaving him behind. Not that he or I can be mad about that because it's one of those situations that allowed him to visit me.

But I'm angry by those who have the opportunity to see Dan whenever they want and here I am, stuck over a hundred miles away having to count down the days until we can physically feel each other again. But I guess it's the moments like that that make it so special. Rather than taking advantage of always seeing him it means I savour those precious moments and keep them locked away in the back of my mind so I can always come back to them.

Tonight though, I was missing him terribly.

I'd spent the majority of the day talking to Dan on Skype which I'm not complaining about, it meant I got to see his pretty face expanded on my screen, just pixilated a little but I can't complain too much. Anyway, he had to leave for a family meal this evening so I was alone.

Now normally I would be perfectly ok with that, but after spending time with someone you care about for so long. Those times there not here you realise just how much you need them. I felt tears roll down my cheek as I packed away the spare bed we'd set up for him and sniffled though dinner as mum accidentally set up his dinner plates, only to be greeted with an empty chair facing me.

Even as I sat and watched Scream I felt so scared. I'd seen the film a billion times but the fact Dan wasn't here for me to curl up to made me shiver and scream as the ghost suddenly popped out on my TV screen. I hated this.

But it was as I laid here in bed, the outside howling with wind and the leaves scrapping against my bedroom, did I realise that I needed Dan as much as I missed him. I've never really liked storms, I don't mind watching them too much from the comfort of my living room window with a hot chocolate placed in my lap, in that sense they're almost relaxing. But when alone in the house for the night (my parents were out for their friends fiftieth birthday), storms are terrifying. Not to mention the house squeaked each time the wind blew making my fear ten times worst as I was now constantly imagining the building falling over and rolling down the hill we lived on. Na huh. I wasn't sleeping tonight.