Missing Heart- Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

    Marcus grumbled from the back of his car to himself. He had found nothing. He knew he was going to find nothing. What had he expected? To find something that so many had missed? For heaven’s sake, ten years had passed and if she was alive they would have known it. He was so naive to think she was.

    But what was this nagging feeling deep at the bottom of where his heart used to be? Almost like the thinest of strings leading to his buried heart. Something was off.

    He was blaming his mistress. She was what has messed him up. She is too like his beloved. He has become confused about everything because of her. Making him reevaluate what he has known for a long time. Diana’s gone.

    He closed his eyes and tried to forget about what happened. He needed to keep strong like he was for so long. He couldn’t let himself feel. He was good at not feeling anything. Has been for so many years. He can’t give that up because some woman showed up in his life.

    The car moved and Marcus saw that they had reached his estate. He crossed his arms with satisfaction. He has been away for longer than he wanted. He will love having the feel of his bed under him as he sleeps.

    The car stopped and servants scurried about to honor his return. He exited the car and noticed they were all more frightened of him. He ignored this and entered his home.

    He didn’t stop till he reached his study. He graced the beautiful worn books of his study. The smell was comforting after his long journey.

    He groaned when his study door opened. Marcus turned to see the doctor standing just inside the doorway bowed and trembling. Marcus turned fully to the doctor and waited.

    Frustrated Marcus groaned. “What is it? I just returned home.” Still the doctor stayed where he was struck with fear. “Tell me!”

    The doctor swallowed hard as he stood up but didn’t lift his head. “F-forgive me my lord, b-but there was an incident while you were g-gone.” The doctor was stuttering trying to tell Lord VonChante what happened.

    Marcus growled in anger. “She tried to take her life, didn’t she?”

    The doctor snapped his head up to Lord VonChante. “N-no my lord. That would have been an escape which she couldn’t do.” The doctor couldn’t believe his lordship would even think of such a thing.

    “Then tell me what has happened.” Marcus started to advance on the doctor.

    “Three of your guards, they...they...”

    “Well spit it out!”

    “They raped her my lord!” The doctor covered his head as he blurted out what happened.

    Marcus stood there with his eyes wide opened. Raped. She was raped by three of his guards. His guards! His face shifted to total anger as he stormed passed the good doctor and out the study. He had to see her.

    The doctor said rape which meant that she was unwilling. He now knew for certain that she felt his claim. She was only to be his. Now three of his guards had taken what they shouldn’t have.

    Servants ran seeing the blood rage that was so evident on his face. They had never seen their lord so angry before. They felt sorry for anyone who was on the end of his rage. They assumed that he was going to hurt his mistress because he was headed straight to her room.

    Marcus slammed her door open with his nostrils flared. He saw Derrick pull Mare close to him as she sobbed uncontrollably at the sight of Marcus at her door. Derrick tucked her head under his chin.