Chapter 16

James slept beside me, holding me in his arms. I didn’t go to sleep straight away. James was the first to fall asleep even though he promised to watch over me, but I guess his eyes didn’t want to agree with him. I lay there watching him sleep and also lay there thinking about everything, afraid to fall asleep because I was afraid of what my dreams would hold if I was to close my eyes. But eventually my eyes won the battle of trying to stay awake and closed.

I slept through the night without any terrifying nightmares awaking me. I woke to the sound of Charlie barking at something from outside. When I opened my eyes I found James staring back at me.

“Morning, Ellie,” he greeted, reaching over to stroke my hair.

I smiled at him. “Morning, James.”

“How did you sleep?”

“I slept alright. I was afraid to fall asleep last night in case I get nightmares, but I didn’t get any of them tonight. What about you?”

“I slept well.” He smiled. “I had a really good dream that you and I got together and my dad was long gone. We were free from him.”

I returned the smile and tried to imagine what life will be about if Mr Waters was no longer here. I tried to imagine how nice people are to James and how we can go anywhere without being judged with whom we are or what happened in the past. Maybe James and I will stay together; maybe we will go our separate ways. I’m not sure whether or not if I would start a family yet. Maybe I could get a job that is more high paying than my waitress job that I wonder if I’m still employ with since I never phone Gale about why I wasn’t at work. But if he has seen the news coverage, he probably thinks I’m with James, held up as a hostage. And when I do get a high paying job, I could take a trip to Paris. Maybe I could even move there and start a whole new life. It may never stop the nightmares, but at least my life would be different once James and I are free.

James went to go take a shower while I got changed. I took the moment to check my messages while he was gone. My parents and Daniel had stopped calling me, but occasionally they still text me, letting me know that they were worried about me and that they wanted me to return home. Truthfully I missed them and my home, but right now I didn’t want to return home. I just wanted some time to myself.

I had several messages from my mother. I answered them one by one.

Hey, Ellie. Just want to let you know that your father, Daniel and I all miss you. Please return home safely soon. Love Mom.

Hey, Ellie, please give me a call. I would love to hear your voice. I really miss you. Take care. Love Mom.

I smiled at my mother’s messages. I wanted to call my family but at the same time if I did, I can imagine my dad on the phone, demanding that I come home like he did to Aunt Zoe the other day. And if I spoke to Daniel, all he would talk about is what an asshole James is and I don’t want him to talk like that.

I put my phone in my pocket and headed to the kitchen. Aunt Zoe wasn’t in the kitchen, but I heard the television on in the living room and headed towards it. Aunt Zoe was sitting on the couch sipping her coffee with Charlie sitting at her feet. On the couch with her were two guys that I didn’t know at all. Either Aunt Zoe or the two men noticed me standing there.

I was about to greet them when mine and James’ picture shows up onto the news bulletin. I stand there still. I should walk away, but I don’t. I stand there to listen even though I know the bulletin will be filled with lies, but I felt like I needed to hear it. I wanted to know what they had to say.

“Still no word on the whereabouts of Ellie Peyton and James Waters,” the news represent said. “The duo has been missing for nearly a week now and the police are running out of options to find where they might be.”