9. a great first kiss

⋆

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

          ASPEN AND CAIDEN'S HEADS are both laid against the cold granite of the counter. It's really nice against their hot skin. Too many margaritas. Far too many.

             "I think we fucked up, Caiden," Aspen slurs, picking her heavy head up. Caiden sighs, rolling his head to the side, "Personally, I love this. Especially because Henry is here."

           "What about Henry?" Laurel asks as she enters the kitchen, knitting her eyebrows in confusion at the two sickly looking teens, "Are you two—okay?" Caiden picks his head up quickly, both of them straightening their backs.

        "Dandy."

           "Yes!"

          Caiden and Aspen both answer simultaneously. It just leaves Laurel with more confusion, "Uh, what'd Henry do?" Caiden slumps down again at the mention of his father, "Just—be Henry, y'know?" Laurel sighs, rubbing the blonde's back, "I know and I'm—who said you could have margaritas?" All their attention is turned to Belly who stumbles into the beach house. Aspen hops off the stool, taking away the glass of margarita Belly has left. "Uh....Victoria?" She replies, "My drink—"

              "You've had more than enough, Bells. We all have," Aspen laughs but she catches Laurel's scold and realizes she's just exposed all three of them.

               "Cake time!" Susannah exclaims, Millie and Amaya right behind her. See, Aspen wasn't ready to see her mother, not in the intoxicated state she's in. "Mom, hi," Aspen tries her best to hide her slurred words. Amaya smiles, a rarity from her these days. "Hi, baby," Amaya softly says, landing a kiss on Aspen's curls.

             "Caiden," Millie stomps her heel, "Are you drunk?" The twin freezes, wondering how much trouble he's about to be in. He manages a smile and just hugs his mom, as if that makes it less obvious. "No!" He answers. Millie sighs, holding her drunk son as they all walk outside.

            But when they do, only the adults are left. "Where'd all the kids go?" Susannah asks, Belly on her heels. "Uh, more for us!" John shouts happily. Aspen and Caiden walk down the stairs, basically skipping around the pool. Cake sounds really, really good right now to Aspen.

              "Oh, I want the piece with the strawberries!" Belly beams but before anyone can save her, her ankle twists and she falls, bringing Susannah—and the cake—down with her.

         There's a collective gasp from everyone, especially as the cake platter shatters, pieces falling into the pool. Aspen and Caiden share a glance and then run towards the injured, joining everyone else. "Is everyone okay?" Aspen asks, grabbing hold of Belly's hand, "Susannah?"