Chapter 1

When my toes hit the squishy sand my freckle covered nose instantly crinkled before relaxing back to normal. The salty smell of the water reached my nose I couldn't help but break into a smile. I loved the beach it was the one thing that remained the same in my life. On days like today when I was homesick I would come out here to the deserted part of the beach where the ocean floor was to rocky for boats and the current too fast for swimmers, and I would watch the waves crash onto the shore. It was quite and deserted and the perfect place to think. The salty smell of the beach is the same no matter where you are. It always let me feel connected to my home and my "family". Not the blood relatives most people have but my race family. Well what was left of my race family. From what I heard 2 of them Jesse, the kid that showed up one day and never really left, and Letty, my older cousin who was more like a big sister, had died. It had taken years but Brian had been labeled a became a crooked cop/agent and was on the run along side Mia, my best friend, and him . All because they just had to brake him out of jail. Him being the one and only Dominic Toretto. Leon and Vince on the other hand they just completely disappeared along with me. I had just turned 21 before everything went to the shitter and we all had to run. Since then I hadn't heard a thing from any of them except Mia who had called once. Closing my eyes I brush my long brown hair out of my face and for the first time I don't fight the flashback that I knew would come to me.

"Go." Dom shouted lightly shoving me toward the driveway were my car was parked. I couldn't move I felt paralyzed my eyes were stuck on Jesse and his unmoving body. Everything had happened so fast my mind had completely shut down.

"Go." This time I didn't hesitate. Numbly I turned on my heel and ran to my car. Peeling out of the driveway behind Brian. Picking up the gun that was attached to the bottom of my car seat, that Dom insisted I had in case of emergency. The target I had in mind was nowhere to be seen so I just pointed at any figure sat upon a motorcycle and shot. Not flinching once. I wasn't sure how we ended up here. Dom, Brian and I were lined up at the light and I uneasily watched Dom unsure of his next move.

"Hayden, go." Dom said slowly moving his head to look at me. I opened my mouth to object but he cut me off before I could.

"Go, I'll only be behind a couple of hours. I promise. I have some unfinished business here." Dom added gesturing towards Brian. Taking a deep breath through my nose I grabbed the steering wheel so hard my hands turned white and pressed the gas speeding away from what, I didn't know at the time, would be the last time I saw Dom.

Feeling a drop of liquid hit my cheek I hurriedly brush it off. I once again curl my toes in the grainy sand before sitting down, wrapping my arms around my legs,and resting my chin on top my knees. I remember the first time I had met Dom. I was a little scrawny 10 year old always mistaken for being 6 when my mom had decided she liked her 20 year old boyfriend more than her own child. So I was shipped off to live with my uncle, Lettys dad. It was my first day there that Letty decided to take me to the park so that I could meet some of the kids that lived in her, well our, neighborhood. I was sat on the swings when a girl came and pushed me off, and being the cliché Dom is he came to my rescue. I remember staring at him in awe. He was what all the Disney princesses had and what I wanted. That was also the day my crush on Dominic Toretto started. Although my being 10 and him 14 he showed no interest whatsoever and it was like that, me pining after him and him not noticing. Of Course that was until I turned 17 years old and Dom came to the realization that I was, in fact, filling out quite nicely and when I finally turned 18 he asked me out on a date. Soon after everything became official.

There there had been a spot that we had set up when we had first started the hijackings somewhere only me and Dom knew in case we got separated. We would meet up at the motel Dom had taken me to on our first date. When We had first arrived I remember being so angry at him I tried to walk home. Because let's be honest motels are notorious for one thing and one thing only. But he just grabbed my hand and lead me to the roof top where you could see nothing but stars in every direction, and stars were our thing.
On that day, the last day I saw Dom, I went there. I had rented the room we had agreed on renting and I sat there waiting stupidly all night I remember falling asleep sitting on the bed intensely listening out the window for the familiar sound of Dom's car engine. Instead of waking cuddled up to a warm body I woke up to an empty motel bed and a voicemail from Mias phone. I knew it was Dom right then because the thing about Mia is she never only called once. She would call your ass until you dropped whatever you were doing an answered. I had been right. Dom called and he had told me to run because by the time I got this everyone including him would already be long gone. For the second time in my life the person who I thought loved me more than anything in the world had abandoned me. I remember that I was emotional paralyzed. I hadn't felt anything at that moment no anger, no betrayal, not even any heartbreak. I was like that only a few moments though because what I found in my car crushed me. Hanging on the rear-view mirror was Dom's cross necklace and a folded up letter lying on the dashboard. It read: