Summer Tides

Myles was gone. After the fight he had gone back to the beach house, packed up his things and was on his way. It was hard. As much as I had fought myself on my confliction between Conrad and Myles, I wasn't expecting him to say all of those hurtful things about me. I was hard enough on myself but hearing it all from him hit different.

"How are you holding up?" Belly had asked as we sat in our room.

"Do you want the surface answer or the truth?" I asked trying to make the situation lighter. Belly gave me a look and I knew immediately it was time for us to finally talk. "I'm...not. I don't really know how I'm supposed to feel right now."

"It's not how you're "supposed to feel", Y/n. It's just how you feel." She said.

"I feel like shit." I admitted. "Myles said a lot of hurtful things. a part of me is wondering if they were true."

"Of course they 're not true. He was hurt and upset so he began speaking out of his ass." She said. "Yo deserve better than that."

"I still feel a little guilty. I mean, in a way I did lie to him." I said.

She asked, "How so?"

"He accused me of having feelings for Conrad." I said. "I denied it. The same way I did to you."

Belly didn't speak.

"I'm sorry the way things escalated that night. I got all defensive about it and I took it out on you. You didn't deserve that." I apologized.

"Hey, don't be sorry. I understand." She said.

"So, what now?" I asked.

"Now...I think you go talk to Conrad." She said.

"What?" I asked.

"You have feelings for him and I think he has them for you." She had said.

I stared at her a moment before going on to say, "What about you? I can't do that to you."

"Don't worry about me." She said. "Let's just say that I've recently seen someone else through a whole new lens."

"Who?" I asked, before it dawned on me. "Jeremiah?"

She smiled widely. "You like Jeremiah!" I exclaimed.

"Keep your voice down! Nobody knows!" She exclaimed.

"Why not? Go after him Belly!" I encouraged her.

"It's not that easy, Y/n." She said.

"Why not?" I asked.

"He's one of my best friends. I don't wanna ruin anything." She said.

"What made you realize you liked Jeremiah anyway?" I asked.

"Last night we had a long chat by the pool. He was talking about how he really likes this girl but they've been friends forever and he doesn't wanna take that leap and risk losing what they have. The last few weeks I've noticed him acting differently around me and he's seemed more flirty than usual." She explained.

"Belly, it's so obvious he likes you. Why haven't you acted on it?" I asked her.

"Because what if the girl he's talking about isn't me?" She sounded saddened.

"What do you mean? Who else would it..." I began to ask before I realized what she was inferring. "You don't think-"

"I don't know what to think." She said.

•••

I decided later that a swim would be nice. The annual volleyball tournament was later today, and Taylor was coming, so I thought this would be a good way to relax before everything really got going.