Chapter 29 - Has He Fallen?

Charlie's POV:

All around me, I felt tension slowly drift away. It was as if a huge weight had been lifted from our shoulders. My eyes shot open as Jasper grabbed my hand in his. I looked up into his eyes. The look in his eyes was one I had never seen before. The smile on his face could be compared to know other. He had his freedom now, and he knew it. I threw my arms around him and hugged him tightly, a wide smile stretching across my face.

We pulled apart a moment later, and my father laid his hand on Jasper's shoulder. Dad had a smile on his face as well, and John looked rather pleased with himself. We did it, I slowly began to realize this. We beat Nora and won the case. I then also realized that the judge had yet to read her sentence. I wasn't sure if he would do that here in front of everyone, but I could have cared less. The loud chattering slowly died down as the judge cleared his throat. We took our seats once more and waited patiently.

This time, Jasper sat beside me, keeping my hand in his. Dad failed to notice this, as his attention was focused solely on the judge.

"Nora Helson, you will be receiving a minimum of twenty-five years in prison. You have committed several felonies, went against the law, and lied before the court," he told her in a stern, loud voice. I bit back a grin as I watched Nora's face drop. Her skin paled and she lurched unsteadily to her feet. Melanie got to her feet as well, raised a finger and prepared to blow up on the judge.

"But--" Nora started, protesting feebly. Two policemen came over and each took one of her arms, leading her away from her seat. They dragged her across the courtroom, past the witness' stand, and back through the door. I could hear her kicking and screaming the whole way, putting up a fight. She was shouting out empty threats, calling the judge vulgar names, and pleading for Melanie to help her.

"Case closed." The judge slammed the gavel down one last time, and prompty collected his papers. He came down from his stand and walked over to Jasper and I. My dad was stood somewhere behind us, conversing with John. I hadn't even noticed my mother come in the courtroom, until I felt her hand on my shoulder. "You deserved this one, son," the judge said to Jasper, putting his hand on Jasper's shoulder. "Enjoy it."

Jasper smiled gratefully at the judge, and nodded, slipping his arm around my waist. The judge gave us one last smile and proceeded to exit the courtroom, folders tucked under his arm. Fatigue swept over my body, causing fuzz to build up in my head. I looked away as I yawned, and wandered away to stretch.

Soon, Dad rounded us up and walked with us back through the entryway. Mom wrapped her arm around my waist and pulled me in against her side. A little girl darted past us and grabbed Jasper's hand, tugging on it. I then realized it was Kayleigh. I smiled a little, drinking in the sight of her vibrant healthiness. A bright smile exploded across Jasper's face as he picked Kayleigh up. They were a few feet ahead of us, so I could only watch their mouth move as they spoke quickly and excitedly to one another.

I guessed Kayleigh and her mother had heard, and came to see the last bit of the trial. I was beyond happy to see that Kayleigh was looking so good, so lively. Mom tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and smiled when I looked at her.

"He's doing really well," she told me, nodding her head towards Jasper. I watched as he carried Kayleigh towards the doors. Something he said caused her to giggle profusely, and smile. They carried on about whatever he had said, giggling and poking fun at one another. It was heart-warming thing to watch, and I couldn't hold back the smile forming on my lips.