Chapter 19 - This Feels Like Love

"We're going where?" I stared at my parents in bewilderment. I wasn't sure if I had heard them correctly, but the excitement racing through my body certainly wasn't false. And if I had heard them incorrectly, well, then I would be greatly disappointed. I swore that my mother just openly said we're going to Hawaii. Laughing, she shook her head at me. We were cleaning up after dinner, and she was washing while I was drying. I stood there, mouth hanging open, one hand holding a damp towel and the other holding a half-dry plate.

Jasper had a little smirk on his face. He was leaning up against the fridge, his arms crossed over his chest. He and my father had been talking about something, when my parents decided to break the news in unison. Clearly, jasper had heard them correctly.

"I said," Mom said with a laugh, indicating for me to finish drying the plate. "We're going to Hawaii for a good portion of July." I set the plate on the stack beside me and wrung the towel between my hands. We as in them, myself and Jasper? Or would they be sending him somewhere? I inspected both of their faces, but they were just smiling at each other.

"What do you mean?" I asked suspiciously. It was one of those moments that seemed too good to be true. Instead of answering, Dad handed me a stiff, white envelope. I opened it, eyeing them. Jasper had a smirk on his face still, as if they had told him before me. I see how it is.

I jerked the flap open and pulled out the envelope's contents. Four plane tickets fell into my hand as well as a brochure. I stared down at the items, my mind slowly processing it.

"We're going to Hawaii?" I shouted, my mouth hanging open. Jasper's smirk widened and Mom continued smiling as she nodded. Dad took the tickets from my hands before I could accidentally rip them to shreds out of excitement. I couldn't believe it. We were going to Hawaii. I had never really been anywhere other than Maine, and certainly nowhere near as extravagant as Hawaii. I had seen four tickets, but I had to make sure. I wasn't going unless Jasper was. "All of us?"

"Yes, we leave tomorrow. Here's another plate." She shoved a sopping wet plate into my hand. Still a little dazed, I felt the water dripping from the plate down onto my feet. I snapped my mouth shut and began drying the plate.

"So, what brought this on? Did you win these tickets from some scam guy in Guatemala?" I snickered a little at my own inside joke. When Mom shot me a look, I swallowed my laughter. Over my shoulder, I could see Jasper laughing silently. His body was quivering slightly as he covered his mouth with his hand. Smiling faintly, I shook my head and set the plate aside after I finished drying it.

"No, Charlie," Mom said, frowning on my joke. "We bought the tickets a few days after Jasper got here. We thought it would be a good idea to get away for a little. Wouldn't you agree?" She shut the water off and dried her hands with a towel. She leaned her hip against the counter and crossed her arms over her chest, studying me.

I had to agree with her, in all seriousness. "Yeah, I think it will be wonderful." I smiled brightly, nodding my head. Mom shot me a grin, and together, she and Dad left the kitchen. I peaked in the sink and growled under my breath.

Jasper raised his brow at me. "What?"

"She took that conversation as an escape," I muttered, jabbing my finger at the sink. Jasper pushed off of the fridge and walked over, peering into the sink.