Chapter 26 Part 2 The Switch

"So Berisford, this control is suspect, and may have other modes of exploding the bomb than the immediate one we - you - have, shall we say temporarily interrupted. What are the possibilities?"

Taylor burst out in anger, "Captain you can't listen to him he's one of 'em. He's a terrorist, he's on our database."

"Shut up Mr Taylor. So far he has, at a minimum, given us a breathing space. You however, threatened us with a weapon. Berisford?"

"Look, I don't know what's in this unit. My knowledge of explosives is related to mining engineering ten years or more ago. We used electric cables and timed fuses and warning sirens to bring down thousands of tons of rock from a quarry face. All I know about this set up is that the six blocks of explosive strapped to the man's belt has a radio receiver each - the aerial was plain to see, and the terrorist had a control unit. What other fail safe or fail dangerous systems are built in I have no idea. It could be sensitive to cabin pressure, to temperature of the operator, to distance from the operator, to an internal clock or even a GPS location. All I know is the sooner you get some real experts on tap and the passengers off this plane the less death and destruction there will be."

The captain beckoned to the stewardess, and said,"Get Carlos here."

A Mexican looking steward, complete with thin moustache on an olive complexioned face, and black hair contoured to his round head, appeared. Somewhere in my mind the phrase 'Built like a brick shit house' insinuated.

"Captain?"

"Just make sure neither of these two makes a move. Bernard will fill you in. I have things to attend to."

Bernard and Carlos exchanged a quiet conversation, but I was aware that either or both of them were observing Taylor and me, and the night stick had been quietly shifted within reach of both stewards. This was an aspect of cabin staff training few were aware of.

The whine of the turbofans crept up a semi tone, and the patch of sunlight from the window crept forward on the table and winked out. A minute later it reappeared in the windows of the opposite side of the cabin.

The PA system tinked a bell and we heard,"This is the captain. First you may have noticed a course alteration. We are now diverting to Sydney Australia for which NZ Airlines apologise. The reason for this is that we have discovered a bomb is aboard. There is no reason to be afraid. It has been neutralised. However I deem it prudent to land as soon as possible to fully eliminate any possibility of an incident. I trust the cabin staff and I can rely on your co-operation. I shall keep you informed. Thank you."

"Get me the captain, immediately," shouted Taylor to the two stewards.

Bernard said in measured and reasonable tones, "Yes, Mr Taylor but I feel with urgent matters to decide and put in hand, surely your individual demands can wait until he is free."

"No they bloody can't. This is a matter for the security authorities of the United States of America, not some pissy New Zealand airline."

Carlos answered with an expression on his face of someone who saw a piece of muddy weed dragged from a stinking pond, "Mr Taylor, you'd best calm down. The captain is busy and has a billion dollar aircraft and 900 souls at stake, " at this point he took the night stick in one brown powerful hand, and quietly but firmly tapped it into the palm of other, "so perhaps Mr Taylor you will await answers to your needs until the captain has addressed his responsibilities."

The two men, young enough to be my sons had demonstrated superb training, but they reinforced my feeling of being old. Ellen had made me feel young again but she was gone. What was I doing?. Sitting on yet another airliner over the Pacific in pursuit of what? A dream? Did I really believe what I thought I knew, could influence events in a hundred years time? I wanted to sleep. To find oblivion and then wake up from this nightmare.