*.*.*******-

"Hey, Kai, I know it's early but I wanted to know if–"

He had to sigh. At this point, he could mark her phonecall on a calendar with how precise she always was.

"Yes, Nya, I will help with the Halloween party and yes, I will attend it and no, I don't have a costume picked out yet because it's not even autumn yet."

"Look, I know it's early–"

"But you're insane in the membrane, I know, sis."

"Could you be even more sarcastic?" Too bad, she can't slap them through the phone. Technology comes short once again.

"I don't know, could I? If you're wondering, yes, I am counting on helping you even the next year. And the year after that, and the year after that and until the end of whichever calendar you managed to possess, okay? Gotta keep an eye on you before you explode your brilliant little mind."

"That's lovely to hear but I was actually going to ask something else."

"Oh no, did I forget to get a birthday gift for someone in the next twenty-five years?"

"Shut up, dumbass."

"So sorry."

"I know there's still a lot of time but I was wondering if maybe Cole would like to come along? Not just the party..."

"One day I'll seriously ask you for sallary."

"Come on, don't look at it as just chores upon chores, Zane makes dinner! It's honest work with the promise of delicious food and good time spent with friends and family."

"Jeez, fine. I can ask him but no promises. I get time off in advance but who knows how busy he'll be."

"Thank you, you're the best, love you, bye!"

Maybe the time he took to respond was as long as the beat of his heart. Maybe. To him it felt like an eternity of silence. "... Yeah, you too."

He scowled at his own reflection on the black screen.