Sick

Second part after The Mermaid Kingdom:

I blush and turn away. "S-see you tomorrow Chelsea... "

She pats my head and smiles before walking away. I watch her walk into the distance. She's probably going back to her kingdom. I turned my back to open the door to my house only to find mom glaring at me.

"Ruby Gillman, where have you been!?"

"I... I went swimming after school and lost track of time."

Well, I did go swimming so there was a bit of truth in there.

"Do you have any idea what time it is!"

"Um... No. "

"It's nearly midnight! I am not impressed at all. You're grounded for the rest of the week and forbidden to go swimming without me with you."

I frowned. "Fine." I snapped, walking up to my room and slamming the door behind me. What did I expect anyway? I heard mom and dad talking downstairs, Sam was asleep in his room. Maybe I could sneak out? But where would I go. I suddenly felt drained of all my energy. My eyes started to close. Maybe I'll have a really good dream. About Chelsea...

I woke up feeling dizzy. The entire world felt like it was spinning. I didn't dream about Chelsea last night and barely got any sleep. As soon as I closed my eyes I had woken up again.

I tried to get out of bed but my limbs seemed to be weighing me down. So instead I relaxed and looked outside my window. Before I knew it, my eyes were beginning to close again and I had fallen into a deep sleep.

Again, no dream. My head hurts. Everything's spinning. I don't know how long I've been asleep for. I try to get up once again and I hear an impatient knock on my door and my mom's voice.

"Ruby, it's time to get up, you'll be late for school!"

I groaned. Neither of us had forgotten our fight last night so the atmosphere was tense with awkward silence. Neither of us knowing what to say, I  quietly left the house. I still felt no improvement as I staggered into math class.

Usually maths is my favourite lesson but I just couldn't seem to concentrate today. I just wanted to sleep. I wondered where Chelsea was. Probation in the ocean, free from any adults to control her life. Maybe I'd meet her in the bathroom again.

Once it was break time, I started to feel even worse. I had barely eaten anything during lunch as I had no appetite at all, and I felt so weak, like everything was weighing me down, not to mention the burning feeling in my head.

Then, I realised that I had forgotten Connor's tutoring session yesterday. I still don't even know if he's in school. I sighed. He's gonna think I stood him up and I don't know how I'll explain to him that I got distracted. Because of a certain  mermaid...

I opened the door to the bathroom.

"Hi there Rubyboo~"

Chelsea was leaning against the wall.

"Chelsea... I'm... So... Tired..."

I reached out to her, but had no strength to keep myself up right anymore. Just as I was sure I would fall flat on my face, she swiftly caught me. Without thinking, I learned against her chest, listening to her heartbeat. I can barely breathe.

"Rubyboo, are you okay?" Chelsea asked. I could hear the worry in her voice.

"I... Just wasn't... Feeling well this... Morning..."

She pats my head. "I think you should go home. "

"I had a fight with... With my mom and... And..."

"Shhh~ it's ok I'll walk you home."

I pulled away and tried to stand up. "N-no!"

Chelsea sighed and looked at me with concern. Suddenly she scooped me up in her arms. "Such a cutie~" she cooed. "I am taking you home and there is no way you can talk me out of it!"

I sighed in defeat and just lay my head against her while she gently stroked my hair.

"A - are we going to jump out the window again... " I asked, closing my eyes.

"Yep!"

Timeskip:

She patted my head. "You'll be okay, Rubyboo~ I'll come visit you later. "

"Mhmm,"

She sets me down at my door and hug her. It feels a little embarrassing as Chelsea's nearly two heads taller than me. "I... I'll see you l-later..."

She waved goodbye and I slowly opened the door and regretfully closed it behind me.

"Mom, are you here?"

"Hi honey. Shouldn't you be at school?" She answered from the kitchen. I frowned, and immediately winced as I felt spiderwebs of pain across my vision.

"M... Mom... " Her voice must be coming from the kitchen. As soon as I got there I learned my head against the table. "I... I don't feel so good... Mom, I'm so sorry about l-last night..."

"It's ok... I've got you... "

She lifts me and walks me to my room and lays me down on my bed. "I'm sorry too... Try to get some rest, okay?"

I nod and close my eyes after I hear her close the door.

I don't know how long I slept for, but when I woke up I heard Sam talking to mom.

"Where did Ruby go?"

"Oh, your sister isn't feeling well."

"Awww." He sighed and I heard mom and dad talk for a while. That was when I decided I'd get out of bed. I slowly opened the door of my bedroom and made my way downstairs.

I saw mum cooking breakfast and dad examining one of his bottled shipwrecks. "Hmm... Still needs some more work." He sighed under his breath.

I sat down next to him on the couch and lay on his shoulder. I hadn't seen dad in three days and I missed him a lot.

"Oh, hi Ruby! Feeling better?"

I nod but don't move.

"How has school been?"

"Good... "

He patted my head and I closed my eyes.

"Hey big sis, guess what? I won my volleyball match yesterday!"

"Congrats Sam, " I replied, opening one eye.

"Hey mom, can we go to the beach tomorrow?"

"I'm not sure... " I heard her reply from the kitchen.

"Please?"

"Okay... But only if your sister is feeling better."

The end! 🥳🥳

Obviously the next part is called 'Beach Day'💅

Thanks to everyone who waited on my slow updates 🤭