Chapter Twelve

Niall’s POV

“Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday dear Colton and Ciara. Happy birthday to you.” I sing in a whisper to a picture of my kids. Their faces are happy, and not suffering. Today is their 5th birthday. For three years they’ve been missing; for three years I’ve been looking for them; for three years I haven’t given up on finding them. Three years without them seems like a lifetime. I never thought I would survive this long without them.

The only comfort I have is getting letters from ‘K’. He has sent about seven pictures that included letters he wrote about what they have learned. He tells us plans that he has made up to help us get Colton and Ciara back, but every time he makes a plan, there’s always things in the way. Things like his two sisters finding out and possibly murdering him for just thinking about such things. I shiver just thinking about someone murdering an innocent person.

I sigh loudly and walk towards their new bedroom that has been finished since last year. I moved to a bigger flat so when I find them, everything will be back to normal, and they will be more comfortable with the change. I open the door revealing the pink and green room specially made for Colton and Ciara. Their beds are on either side of the room with a huge space in the middle for them to use as a play area. A big square window takes up the back wall in the middle of the room, overviewing the park. My tears want to spill out, but my eyes have been dried out from three years of crying.

I back myself out of the room and gently close the door. I walk towards my living room where it has pictures of Colton and Ciara. Some are professionally taken by some high-class Spanish photographer, others are taken by ‘K’ that are just natural pictures. Even though it has been three years, his sister has dyed their hair every few weeks so they won’t notice. It’s probably a normal occurrence to get their hair dyed.

My anger starts to take over. Why did this have to happen? I know people hate me, but why would someone hate me so much as to take my pride and joy away from me? They didn’t have to take away Colton and Ciara away. They could have taken me and tortured me! That would have been better. I would at least know where my kids are and that they’re safe with the boys, but no, this vile woman decided to break me.

I clench my fist to try to stop myself from taking things too far. I had to go to the hospital the last time that happened. I shudder at the thought of a hospital. The word itself gives me the chills. Any person who likes the hospital must be a lunatic. Not that I’m calling doctors and nurses lunatics, but I would get tired of going to a hospital just to hear that more people have died or are dying.

I yawn loudly before hearing knocks at the door. I walk towards the white painted door to answer it. I first look through the peephole, just to make sure that the person isn’t someone dangerous. I check it, but I don’t see anyone. Instead, I see a piece of paper hanging by string labeled “Niall”. I quickly open the door and snatch the letter. I look around, trying to find any signs that someone has come to my door.

After looking around, much to my disappointment, it looks like no one has even touched the paper, let alone come to my door. I sigh out loud and go back into my flat with the paper burning my hands. I walk down the hall to Colton and Ciara’s rooms. It has become tradition to open letters of them in their room so I can feel like they’re actually with me. I sit down on the floor with my legs crossed, and begin to open the letter. Gently, I pull the tape sealing it together and open it

Niall Horan:

The plan has been put into action. My sister thinks I’m taking Colton and Ciara to go sightseeing in London for educational purposes. She has put her full trust in me that I won’t go to the police. She is wrong. Very wrong. The rules to this plan are simple, but MUST be followed if you want them back. You will receive another letter giving you the rules. If they are not followed and I get arrested, I am not afraid to take them back to my sister. Harsh, yes, but this is the only way you will get them back.

Secondly, as I promised in letters before, I have dyed their hair to its natural color. Throughout the years, Colton’s hair has stayed the same blonde with his blue eyes. As for Ciara, her hair is now a dark brown, like it was when she was born. Her eyes have turned into a dark blue, close to a brown color.

Next, not a word gets said to the media. If the media finds out, it will be all over the world that Colton and Ciara are back in your care. My sister will not only kill me, but she will kill them. Goodbye for now Niall Horan. I hope you follow through.

K. x

Attached to the paper are printed out photographs of Colton and Ciara. I stare at Colton first. His hair is that same blonde I remember from many years ago. His eyes are full of happiness. A smile starts to form on my lips. My eyes now flicker towards Ciara. Her hair is now short, up to her shoulders at least. Her hair flows down with bits getting in her face. Her eyes are dark, but still full of life. I notice that Colton is wearing a blue tank top with khaki shorts and vans. Ciara wears a red dress with flowers printed all over. My heart aches to be with them right now.

I notice that there is someone in the middle of them. I look down and it says ‘Greyson, K, and Gabriella’. I note that the name has been written in pen, but wiped out with white-out. I start to pick at the white out. Little by little, it starts to come off. The true identity of ‘K’ lies beneath this white-out. I must find out who has kept my mind at ease.

My concentration gets blocked by several knocks at the door. I growl in frustration. I lay the paper on Ciara’s dresser and walk towards the door, ready to yell at whoever has decided to stop me from finding a step closer to my kids. I open the door without looking through the peephole. Louis and Zayn stand there with nervous complexions. My anger softens, but it’s still there.

“Niall, Louis has something to tell you.” Zayn says urgently. He looks from side to side then looks at me in the eyes, pleading for me to let them in. I motion for them to come inside. They both sigh in relief and walk inside rather quickly.

They sit down in the living room, rubbing their hands together. I can already tell that their palms are sweating just by the way their hands slide off the other. “So, what do you have to tell me?” I ask rather timidly. I sit down across from the Louis to look at him in the eyes.

He mumbles something inaudible for me to hear. “I beg your pardon Louis? Can you say it louder?” He mumbles again louder, but I still can’t hear him. “Louis, speak up. I can’t hear you.”

“Damn it, Niall! I know who took them! I’m sorry! I didn’t say anything because I didn’t want them to hurt Colton and Ciara!” he practically shouts in my face. I feel spit flies towards my face, but I don’t bother wiping it off. I sit on the couch at what Louis just shouted in my face. Louis’ face falters into guilt and he slaps his hand over his mouth.

I think back to the time where Louis was always checking things. We all thought that it was just developing OCD and not to worry about it. It all makes sense now. I gulp and look over at Louis. His hands are on his face while Zayn rubs his back soothingly. “Louis.” I start. He looks up to see if I’m angry, “Louis, I’m not mad. I’m just upset that you didn’t tell me.” I sigh a bit. The phone starts to ring before Louis has time to answer.

It switches to the answering machine that I recorded when Colton and Ciara were here. I listen to it sometimes so I can hear their giggling voices. I walk over and listen to the message that has been recorded.

“Niall Horan, the plan will start in approximately 29 hours. Remember what I said.” The voice in the message says. ‘K’ is trying to sound intimidating, but it isn’t working. He sounds like an innocent kid who has been dragged into a crime he didn’t commit. I turn around to look at Zayn and Louis, but they’re both staring at the window. In the window, a shadowy figure stands with a cell phone. The sun is setting, not letting us see who it is. He takes the phone and drops it down the fire escape. I can hear it hit the ground, shatter into thousands of pieces. The figure continues to stare until he puts a finger over his lips. All I can really see is his vibrant blue eyes.

He steps backwards falling off the fire escape. I close my eyes, waiting to hear a fatal scream and crash. It never comes. I open my eyes and I realize a rope dangling in the wind. I suck in a breath before looking at my two band members.

Zayn is the first to break the silence, “Was that... Was that ‘K’?” I stare at the answering machine before answering.

“I think so.”

[LET’S GET THIS MYSTERIOUS SHIT ONNN!!! :o I feel like I rushed this. How did you guys like it? :)]