Chapter 12: ???????

(If you can play " A Storm is Comin'" by Tommee Profitt, please do so now)

A black, dark void surrounded him in every direction. Unmoving, unchanging. 

Just a deep, solid black void.

Not a sound could be heard other than the rattling of the shackles he was bound to. They extended from the darkness. Old, rusty chains connected to shackles in which his arms and legs were locked inside. 

The key? There was no key. Never had been. The shackles were not designed to ever be opened again.

How had he ended up in them in the first place? He had no idea. He'd just woken up in them years and years ago. How many years precisely he didn't know. He had long lost count.

He'd tried his best to escape of course. He writhed and tugged with all his might many, many times but no matter what, no matter how hard he tried the shackles simply wouldn't budge.

So, resigned to his fate this is how he'd lived for who knows how many years. Stuck, hanging from shackles in the middle of a silent black void. 

Something was about to change, however.

As he hung there, head hung low in defeat, something happened. The void began to shake, a rumble echoing throughout.

Shocked, his head shot up. This had never happened before...

The shaking slowly increased in intensity, the rumbling getting louder.

Now his chains and shackles began to shake too. The vibrations were so intense he could have sworn he could feel his brain hitting the side of his skull.

To his surprise, a white glow began spreading up all four chains, one by one, until each chain and shackle were fully covered in this abnormal light.

He began to struggle, hoping, praying, this might finally be his opportunity to escape.

He tugged and kicked widely, screaming with all his might, but still, they would not budge.

Defeated he gave up and looked down. Only to gasp.

The chain on his left leg was starting to crack! 

The crack spread, going all the way up the chain, before beginning to grow bigger.

The chain slowly got divided into pieces as the cracks spread. Smaller and smaller, deeper and deeper the cracks went.

The same started to happen to the other chains. First the other leg, then his arms.

Soon all four were completely covered in this crack, shaking violently as they struggled to remain intact.

Come on, the cracks just needed one more push, one more little nudge and-

BOOM!

Just like that, the chains exploded in a bright flash of light. 

He dropped to the floor, on his hands and knees.

The ground...he was touching the ground.

He breathed heavily, looking around. He heard something behind him. A faint hum phasing in out and out repeatedly.

He turned around to see a white, glowing rectangle, just in the distance.

it was calling to him, beckoning to him.

He looked back down at his legs, before doing something he thought he'd never be able to do.

He stood up.

He was on his own legs two feet for the time he could ever remember...

He took a few weak steps forward, a large gleeful grin slowly forming on his face as he watched his legs move forward. 

He stopped.

Suddenly he began to laugh. A crazy, delighted laugh of realization.

"Finally...after all these years..."

The feline looked up with a grin, his yellow eyes glowing in the darkness around him as he laughed manically.

"...I'M FREE!"

TO BE CONTINUED IN 'THE KITTEN'S WRATH'