Chapter 2: The First Push

Gumball whistled a happy tune as he strolled over to his underwear drawer. He went to open the drawer but paused as he noticed Anais' dolls sitting next to them. He glared at them, as if there were something he was supposed to be remembering. Something clicked as a memory of Grady played back in his mind, of when he had told him about dolls being able to see everything that happened.

He hesitated, looking at them with a contemplative expression. He'd said he would apologize to them, but now that he was about to it just felt stupid.

"...Am I seriously about to do this?"

After a few more seconds he sighed and looked down, sheepishly rubbing his arm. "Uh, hey I'm...sorry...i guess?  Didn't know you could see what was going on, and uh..." He began to apologise, before pausing. Suddenly, he began to chuckle. "What am I doing? They're just inanimate dolls, they aren't alive. Frank, Grady and Howdy probably were cause Dad got them for us, and knowing him he probably went to the Awesome Store for them."

The feline shook his head in disbelief and opened the drawer, He was about to drop his towel but hesitated once more. "Wait, didn't Dad get Anais' doll too?" He slowly glanced back toward the dolls.

He thought for a moment before quickly turning them all to face the wall. "...Just to be sure..."

Now that he'd gotten peace of mind, Gumball dropped his towel and took out a pair of underwear, slipping them on. He closed the drawer and absent-mindedly opened another as he fell back into his thoughts again.

He was surprised by how happy he was. Despite it being a Monday he was in a surprisingly good mood.  Though to be fair, why wouldn't he be?  Everything was going great for him at the moment. He and his siblings were closer than ever, he was getting better grades at school now which in turn was pleasing his mother, his relationship with Penny couldn't be better, he and Carrie also seemed to be getting a lot closer as well now and their entire group was frequently hanging out and having a laugh together.  Right now, life really couldn't get any better.

...which is probably why, knowing his luck, something was bound to go wrong sometime soon. Whenever he was happy, whenever everything seemed to be going great, there was always something that went wrong, something that got in the way. The universe just couldn't leave him alone. It was as if it needed there to be drama in his life. Like the whole world depended on crazy, unbelievable things happening to him every other day. 

Was it seriously too much to ask for a week or so off to give him a chance to catch his breath?

He sighed. Still, at least he was in a good mood at the moment. That's all that really mattered.

As he finally snapped out of his thoughts he was embarrassed to find himself squeezed halfway into one of his sister's dresses. "Oops, wrong drawer..." He blushed, quickly ripping it off and stuffing it back in the drawer.

"Gumball, quick, the bus is here!" Darwin suddenly yelled from downstairs.

Gumball gasped and hurriedly grabbed a sweater and pants before hurriedly hopping out of his room as he tried to get them on.

"I'm coming!"  The kitten ran toward the stairs but missed the first step entirely and tumbled down the rest of the way, painfully landing at the door.

"Owwww..." He moaned before he got up and cracked his bones back into place. His eyes widened as he looked up and saw the bus doors close through the open front door. "No, wait! I'm coming!"

The feline ran out as fast as he could, pulling his pants up and sweater on. "WAIT!"

But he wasn't fast enough. The bus began to drive away. Still, he continued to chase after it.