twenty-seven

jiae wiped her sweaty hands against her thermal leggings

jiae wiped her sweaty hands against her thermal leggings. she'd been standing outside of the cafe for a few minutes, allowing the cold air to cool her down after receiving a text from haechan that he'd arrived.

she couldn't go inside, and she didn't know why. well, that isn't exactly true—she was afraid that she wasn't what he expected her to be.

despite briefly speaking to each other over face time, meeting someone in the flesh was completely different. jiae remember how nervous she'd been when she first met yuxi and miles after befriending them online, but this felt different.

peering through one of the cafe windows, she could faintly make a figure out in the back of the shop. he was covered up well so it was impossible to tell if that was him without going in.

jiae took a breath and reached for the knob, her focus still locked on the dark figure inside.

"what are we looking at, exactly?"

the girl nearly jumped out of her skin, spinning fast to find a boy hovering rather close to follow her gaze inside the shop. he flinched back in surprise, wide eyed mimicking hers.

at first, jiae couldn't recognize the boy in his disguise and contemplated between screaming and attacking. the longer she analyzed his appearance, the less tense her shoulders became, and soon she nearly fell to the floor in relief.

"are you trying to kill me?!"

haechan looked shock at her outburst. "me? you look like you're about to beat me up!"

"i thought that was you!" jiae exclaimed as she pointed at the figure through the window. he turned his head to the side, perhaps to order something else, and they both saw the long beard that covered nearly half his face. jiae blinked between the man and the idol looking at her with an unimpressed expression. "... he didn't have that when i saw him."

haechan let out a sound that mixed between a scoff and a laugh. "so he just miraculously grew a beard in the two minutes we've been out here?"

"yes."

the boy paused for a moment before closing his eyes and shrugging. "fair."

a silence drifted between them, and jiae suddenly let the situation sink in. she was outside. in public. with an idol she was meeting for the first time.

picking up on her quietness, haechan reached past her for the knob and pulled until the door was cracked open. "still want to accidentally sit at the same table? or do you want to go somewhere else?"