Missing Heart

Chapter One

    The full moon shone brightly as giggles filled the midnight spring air. Wild flowers of many different colors and shapes scattered through the field amongst the tall grass. Barely a cloud dotted the sky. Thick trees lined the field making this large clearing very private for those who are blessed to find it.

    In the center of the wildflower field were two children playing like they always had since they were toddlers. A boy and a girl. Both playing without a care in the world. Just having fun for the sake of fun.

    The boy dressed in fine clothes for a noble. A shirt handcrafted just for him in the softest of cottons and the most beautiful embroidery fell loose over him. His pants were the best style slacks even a grown man would feel like the world was at his feet. Already grass stains streaked the knees of his pants. His wavy black hair was messy in its pony tail due to the fun.

    Her delicate silk dress flowing as she giggles and runs playfully away from the boy who chased her happily. Her platinum blonde curls bouncing with all her glee as her hands graced over the flowers as she speed passed them. Her once shiny shoes were now smeared with dirt and mud. Just another testament to all the fun they were having.

    The night was the only time they could be together. This didn’t bother them. They lived in a world that rested during the day and everything came to life at night. He had never seen the sun in his nine years of life, and for good reason. The sun would kill him if he stepped out into it. She didn’t have that problem, but she herself preferred the night. The time when they were together. It was the most precious to her. And him just the same.

    She looked back and giggled making him smile at her. Unfortunately she turned back at the wrong moment. She foot caught a raised rock making her tumble forward down to the ground. Her hands flew in front of her to brace her fall. She saw too late that a jagged rock poked out of the ground. She tried to move her hand to avoid it, but it still caught the fleshy outside of her hand making her yelp in pain.

    “Diana! Are you alright?” The boy asked as he crouched next to her. The smell of blood came to him and he looked at her face. She knew the look in his eyes. He was holding himself back from the thirst he was feeling. He was good at it around her. “Where are you cut?”

    She held up her hand that was cupped by the other hand tightly to keep from bleeding so much. She didn’t fear him when he was like this. It was who he was and has always been since birth. A natural born vampyre. He never tried to bite her unless it was playfully. Never broke her skin when they were playing. “Can you make it stop bleeding?” She begged of him. She knew her parents would be furious if she came back injured even if it were by accident.

    He has heard this request before and knew it would help them both. “Only a lick. Nothing more.” He told her and himself. He knew how to restrain his raging instinct to grab her wrist and cover her wound with his lips and drink heavily stroking the wound with his tongue. He knew how to keep his fangs in check.

    He kept his eyes on hers as he took her wrist of her injured hand. She removed her hand and he leaned down letting his tongue slid out of his mouth. His nostrils flared at the intense smell of fresh blood wrapped around him, but his eyes stayed on hers to center himself. This was his best friend. He couldn’t harm her. He loved her more than as a friend. She was his crush for a few years now.

    He slowly licked her wound and nearly closed his eyes at the ambrosia of her blood, but he dared not. If he gave in, he would bite and drink. He needed to tame the beast the dwelled within him. Diana had helped in that. Her innocence and fragile form helped him push the beast back deep down inside. His need to protect her over powered his thirst.