Chapter One

Kristina's POV

I walk to the mirror in the makeup station from the dressing room to see the dress my mother is making me wear for my performance. It was a tight light yellow corset along with a skirt made of matching yellow feathers only in the back. My tights are white and I have a matching feather in my hair along with matching shoes. I hear my mother rush over to where I am telling some kids to get out. I turn around and see Jack Kelly.

"You wouldn't kick me out without a kiss goodbye, wouldja Medda?" He asks as he steps up some stairs. I walk over as they hug.

"Oh, Kelly. Where ya been kid? Oh, I miss seeing you up on the balcony." Medda says as she pulls away.

"Please Mother, he's been too busy hanging with that nutjob Race," I say with a smirk at Jack.

"Yeah, yeah Kristina," Jack says as he rolls his eyes before shoving my head back a little. "This is David and Les." Jack says as he motions to two other boys.

"Hello," Medda says.

"And this is the greatest star of the vaudeville stage today, Miss Medda Larkin, the Swedish Meadowlark. Along with Kristina Larkin." Jack explains I roll my eyes at his introduction for me.

"Welcome, gentlemen." My mother says with a bow as her accent shows.

I make my way to the stage as it's soon my cue and wait on the sidelines. I step on the stage and pose while waiting for my song to begin. The music starts and I slowly strut making my arms gently go side to side and stop center stage for my lyrics to begin.

Guess mine is not the first heart broken I sing while putting my hand to my heart.
My eyes are not the first to cry
I sing while walking across the stage slowly.
I'm not the first to know, There's just no getting over you
I walk over to the cushioned bench and sit down while crossing my legs.
I know I'm just a fool who's willing to sit around and wait for you
I stand up and walk to center stage and hold my stomach slightly as I continue to sing.
But, baby, can't you see? There's nothing else for me to do. I'm hopelessly devoted to you.
I stretch my arms out as I get ready for my big moment.
But now, There's nowhere to hide since you put my love aside
I walk to the left as I continue.
I'm out of my head hopelessly devoted to you
I sing as I reach my arm out slightly to the audience.
Hopelessly devoted to you
I walk to the other side of the stage.
My head is saying "Fool, forget him."
I grab my heart.
My heart is saying "Don't let go"
Hold on to the end, that's what I intend to do. I'm hopelessly devoted to you.
I rush over to center stage as another big moment comes up.
But now, there's nowhere to hide since you pushed my love aside.
I reach my hand to my head and slowly drag it down my body.
I'm out of my head
Hopelessly devoted to you
I sing as I walk over to the cushioned bench and sit down on it crossing my legs.
Hopelessly devoted to you
The song comes to an end and I stand and curtsy before walking off stage to my mother along with Jack and his friends.

"Oh, that was just fantastic Kristina!" My mother says while pulling in for a hug I hug back tightly before pulling back.

"Not bad Kristina," Jack says pinching my cheek, I smile. "Much better than the first time," Jack says with a chuckle remembering my first performance. I hold my head in my hands as I get embarrassed at the recall of my first performance.

"Wait what happened the first time?" David asks, confused.

"Nothing!" I shout as my mother goes on stage and begins performing.

"The first time Kristina performed. She ran off stage as soon as the music started and threw up all over the vanity!" Jack says laughing as he recalls what had happened when he was there with his father. "That was what? 7 years ago? When you were 7 right?" I nod my head slowly. Jack and David laugh at my embarrassment.

"So how do you guys know each other?" David asks.

"Well my mom and his dad were close so we practically grew up together," I explain to David. And that includes him and his father getting free admission to every performance.

"Nice seeing you Kristina," Jack says while hugging me goodbye.

"You too Kelly," I say pulling away.

"Nice meeting you," David says, putting his hand out. I play my hand in his and he lifts my hand to his lips. I smile at him and let out a 'You too.' David Jack and Les leave the building and I begin to get ready for bed, unknowing what might happen tomorrow.