Chapter 7: Pizza

Why did he have to be there? How could Gojo be friends with such a monster? He killed a kid; he killed Rika. How was he out of prison? Yuta found himself unable to stop his mind from swarming with these few thoughts.

Yuta felt the warm bile leave his throat as he leaned over the bathroom toilet. It could have been the paint fumes or the sudden reappearance of one Geto Suguru, but it didn't matter. There he was, being saved again. Inumaki spoke.

The blonde's voice was deeper than Yuta expected. It rang in his ears like needles stabbing into his skull. There was no hesitation behind it. Inumaki was clear about his intent when he threw his body between them.

What made it more difficult was the man's cold demeanor. Geto didn't remember his face. It might have been years prior, but Geto was still as cold as he had been when his car struck Rika's tiny body. There was not an ounce of change in those purple eyes.

Inumaki's hand rubbed Yuta's back as his head hung over the bowl. No one had sat with him in such a grotesque situation. Did Inumaki really mean it? Did he know Geto? The older man most definitely knew who Inumaki was, but the blonde's reaction seemed more instinctual.

"Thank you, Inumaki," Yuta said.

Part of him hoped that Inumaki's speech would have broken some kind of barrier, but the blonde was as silent as ever. Another part had hoped those first words would come as something more positive. The thought of Inumaki looking up into his eyes and saying "Yuta" churned something in the black-haired man that he didn't understand. A more morbid part of Yuta hoped that words would never come - that somehow Inumaki would never feel close or safe enough to speak. If Inumaki didn't trust him, then no one could, and his suspicions would be confirmed.

Tears had left salty stains on Yuta's lips, a better flavor than the bile that had exited him only moments prior. There were a few wet spots on the back of Yuta's shirt. They stuck to his skin. The black-haired man hoped they were just collateral moisture from sweat, but he could hear the quiet whimpers of Inumaki.

When he knew the vomit had ended, Yuta turned to face the glassy eyes of the blonde. Seeing him cry only made it worse. Tears for Yuta were so unjustified. Inumaki didn't know anything, yet he cared so much. He jumped to action as if Geto were going to strike.

"I'm sorry," Yuta said, feeling his eyes warm again.

Inumaki signed the word "No."

"Look, that man, he-" Yuta stopped speaking as Inumaki's finger pressed against his lips.

The blonde held his arms open. Was he scared? Was he okay? Itadori's speech about Junpei replayed in Yuta's mind. Rika wouldn't have wanted him to fall apart so easily. But it didn't matter, Yuta had cracked.

Yuta joined Inumaki in an embrace. The blonde's breathing was erratic but grew calmer as they held each other. It must have been terrifying seeing Yuta drop so dramatically. Had Inumaki seen trauma?

"Inumaki, please. I am sorry-" Yuta said.

"Toge," the blonde spoke again, softly.

Yuta's heart fluttered, "Toge, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."

Toge didn't respond with words; he only tightened his grip. The blonde was so much stronger than Yuta imagined. There was no leaving his hug, but Yuta didn't want to. Toge was holding him together - if only temporarily.

"That man. He killed Rika. He's the one who should have killed me."

Toge's grip tightened more. The sweet wine flavor danced across Yuta's tongue as he gagged but choked down another round of vomiting. A sound must have escaped his throat because Toge released him. Yuta took a breath and looked toward the ceiling.