Rules - Flax

Flax

"My name is Cordelia. I will be Head of Training for this Games. Listen carefully, because I'm going to explain the rules."

Rules? There are rules. That surprises me. You'd expect that in a situation like this, they wouldn't bother with rules. Go ahead, kill each other, may the odds jadder jadder jadder. Though I guess it wouldn't make them happy if we started killing each other off before the cameras went on. Less entertainment. Perhaps I should try it.

"Here you will have the chance to practice with different weapons, as well as skills that could be useful in the arena such as camouflage, knot tying and plant identification. Although it may be tempting to prioritise the use of weapons, I would recommend not doing so. Statistically, around seventeen percent of tributes die of natural causes, and that figures rises to twenty two percent when you include injuries that were not necessarily fatal, had they paid attention to some of the less popular stations. This is your life. Don't leave it to chance."

Oh yeah, like our lives weren't left to chance the moment they were put in that stupid reaping basket. Nice one, lady. You really thought that one through.

Almost as though she can see what I'm thinking, she glares at me. I just look back. It's okay for her. What does she actually have to do? Nothing. She just sits there and reads out her little speech and tries not to look too pleased that we're all going to die at some point. I suppose it should be some comfort that one day she is too. But at least she got the chance to live first.

Lady realises that I'm not even going to dignify here with any recognition that she's even speaking and carries on. "Now, it is essential that you remember this, because there have been some incidents in the last few years. Under no circumstances are you allowed to test your skills against the other tributes. You must not fight each other. Expert instructors are provided for you to practice combat skills. Try not to break them. It costs a lot in compensation."

She says this with a tone that suggests that an instructor was recently 'broken' and I allow myself a small grin. Bet they weren't expecting that to happen.

"The next two days will follow the same pattern; three hours’ morning training, followed by an hour for lunch, followed by three hours in the afternoon. After that, you will retire to your floors for interview training. Your nominated companions will join you during lunch tomorrow, but apart from that, the day will continue as normal. However, in two days’ time there will be a morning session only. After lunch, you will undergo individual assessments, without your companion. It is your skills that will be assessed and yours only. After lunch you will be asked to remain in the canteen. You will be called up individually in district order. Then this room will be all yours to show off to the Gamemakers any skills that might convince them that you can win. This will decide your tribute score, essential because many potential sponsors use tribute scores as the base for their decisions. We advise that you discuss your strategy with your mentors, all of whom have been through the same situation."

Well, isn't that nice? She's reminding us that each and every one of us stands a chance of winning. Hah. Fat chance, lady. She knows as well as the rest of us that the Careers practically have this in the bag. Just look at them. I wouldn’t be surprised if you could peel off their faces and see machinery underneath. If I squint I can just about see that the boy from Two’s nose is at an angle, but apart from that there’s something spookily perfect about them. It must be nice to be able to spend a lot of time on your appearance. Not.

“Does anybody have any questions?”

The boy from Two speaks without putting his hand up, his grin overflowing with barely concealed superiority. The bastard. “What happens if we do…break…an instructor?”