Bennys disbatch

"Mine was a...quaint little sueñito. If I made it back to the Dominican Republic, then we retained our roots. But Nina Rosario's dreams
were all about reach. Spelling bee champ, valedictorian,managed her dad's business
and basically... she was like a little sister to me. Girl was a rocket, determined to go far." Usnavi explains to the children.
...

"And your all good" Camila says as she plays with the ending result of her work. "I love it" a customer says as she looks in awe of her hair before handing her a 50 and a 20 as a tip. "Thank you so much" the customer says smiling. "No problem Have a nice day!" Camila says as her customer gets up and leaves. She then goes to the register and puts the money in before checking her watch to see it's time for her break. Camila makes her way to the coat rack to get her jacket and puts it on. "I'll be back," Camila announces to her coworkers and customers before leaving the salon.

Instead of heading straight home, Camila decides to make a detour to see the building she's been eyeing. Meanwhile, Nina strolls down the street, taking in the sights and sounds of her neighborhood. Her day takes an unexpected turn when she hears a familiar voice calling out to her.

"Is that Ms. Nina!" Camila shouts excitedly, causing Nina to turn around with a surprised expression. The two friends run to eachother and hug as people around them look at them weirdly. "I missed you!" Nina exclaims."Me, too. Did you just get in?" Camila questions, happy to see her.

"Yeah, late last night," Nina confirms, her eyes glancing between her friend and the building nearby causing Camila to notice. "In a week?"Nina inquires with excitement in her voice. Camila nods, her smile growing wider. "Yeah, it's really happening."

"Yo, so much to catch up on. Come over for a free mani-pedi, yeah?" Camila offers causing Nina to look at her own hands. "Jeez I need it." Nina says causing Camila to grin. "Mm-hm. Oh, and Benny's on the dispatch today," she says teasingly earning a look from Nina.

"What I'm Just sayin'," Camila adds shrugging.

....
"Check one, two, three. Check one, two, three. This is Benny on the dispatch, yo"
Benny says into the dispatcher while leaning on his desk."Atención, yo, attention. It's Benny and I'd like to mention I'm on the microphone this mornin'Honk your horn if you want it" Benny says as people honk their horns from all around. "Okay, we got traffic on the west side.Get off at 79th and take the left side Of Riverside Drive, you might slide West End's your best friend if you catch the light" Benny continues.

"And don't take the Deegan Big Papi is in town this weekend Sorry Dominicans, take Route 87 You ain't getting back in again Hold up a minute" He says placing the microphone down as he notices Nina's arrival."Benny, hey" She greets softly as she smiles.

"Nina, you're home today" Benny says staring at her. "Any sign-" Nina says but is cut off by Benny. "Of your dad? He's on his way" Benny answers as Nina looks in the office.
"Anyway" nina says as she stops looking in the office. "It's good to see your face"Benny says smiling. "Anytime" Nina says as she began to walk over to the door pretending to leave but Benny stops her by grabbing her arm.

"Hold up a minute, wait You used to run this dispatch, right?"Benny asks Nina who is giving him a look of suspicion. "Once or twice" Nina answers.

"Well, check the technique, yo There's a traffic accident  I have to mention At the intersection of 10th Ave,  Jacob Javitz Convention Center And check it,  don't get stuck in the rubber-neckin'. On a 192nd there's a double-decker bus wreck. Now listen up, we got a special guest" benny says into the dispatch as he looks at nina.

"Benny"Nina warns. "Live and direct from a year out west" Benny continues. "Benny," She repeats. "Welcome her back, 'cause she looks mad stressed" Benny says looking at nina. "Nina Rosario, the barrio's best Honk your horns" Benny says as he began to dance causing her to laugh. A bunch of people began to honk, making Nina smile.
"She's smiling,"

"Say "hello" Say "hello"benny encourages.

Nina sighs before giving in. "Hello, good morning" she greets. Nina smiles awkwardly as she backs up from the dispatch.
" I ought to let you work. Thanks for the welcome wagon" nina says with a smile as she turns to leave, heading across the street. "Anytime, anytime, Nina" benny says as she walks out.

"Stay here with me It's getting hot outside, turn up the A.C. Stay here with me" Benny says as he stares out the window at nina. "You thirsty as hell." A worker says laughing. "You used to date?" Another one asks. "No way, the boss's daughter?" One says in disbelief.

Benny looks at his coworkers and rolls his eyes.

....

Vanessa, Sonny, and Usnavi sit together, trying to find relief from the scorching heat. Vanessa takes a wet towelette and wipes her forehead, while Sonny holds a cold coke bottle to his head and operates a tiny fan.

"I don't know, man. Leave Washington Heights? I'd have to talk to my dad..." sonny says hesitantly. "You're just a kid. You don't even know. For real. The Dominican Republic's gonna blow your mind." Usnavi says happily.  Sonny sighs, still trying to cool himself down from the relentless heat."Look. You do you. It's all good. But don't be roping me into your thing." Sonny says dismissing the idea.

"Yo... Beach. Merengue. Carnaval. Summer all year 'round." Usnavi says trying to persuade sonny. "Who's gonna greet you in D.R.? Some cousin you saw two Christmases ago?" Vanessa questions as Sonny nods. "Exactly" Sonny says in agreement. "Best days of my life were there." Usnavi says making Sonny laugh.

"That's the corniest thing I've ever heard." Sonny teases. "You came here when you were eight. You got island memories. Not me. I was in Pampers when on that plane. NYC's my spot. I got my island, okay? Go get yours." Sonny encourages. Vanessa looks at Sonny and smile, for a kid he's really wise.

"Don't forget how you got your name." Sonny says teasingly causing vanesss to laugh. Usnavi stops in his tracks, and he emerges from under the fridge."Yo." Usnavi deadpans. "He got you" Vanessa says wiping a tear from her eye from laughter. "Oh shush" usnavi says turning to his best friend before returning to his task of fixing the fridge.

...

The children, including Dolores, Miggy, Rosa and Elena, are still curious about Usnavi's name and its meaning."What's Usnavi mean anyway?" Dolores questions in confusion. "That sounds weird." Miggy says scrunching his face up. "No, it doesn't." Elena defends making Dolores shake her head at her sister and friends antics.

"Guys be quiet" Rosa scolds the group. "Alright alright settle down" camila says quieting the kids down."On my dad's first trip to Nueva York, he saw a passing ship on the horizon. And he was like, "Wow, that's gonna be my son's name." Usnavi explains. The children giggle making usnavi smile. "Usnavi." Elena says repeating the name. The children suddenly have an "aha" moment and understand the connection. "Ohhhhhh..." the children say in unison.

"Well, I like it." Dolores compliments. "Me too" Camila adds in causing Usnavi to smile at his wife and daughter. "Thank you." Usnavi replies with a smile.

Like

Comment

Share!