Chapter 28; Jail Time (part one)

Note; THIS CHAPTER IS WRITTEN IN AMBER'S POINT OF VIEW-So please don't confused when she refers to Taylor in the 3rd person. Enjoy! ~Itss_tae

Amber's Pov;

I woke up to the sound of my phone buzzing crazily. I groaned as I pressed the button on the side of my phone. The screen read:

10: 37 A.M.
Missed call from Madison.
Voicemail from Madison.

I listened to the voicemail.

"Hey," she started. "I'll be over at eleven to pick you up. We should be at the hospital by twelve depending on how much traffic there is." There was a crash followed by a cry in the background. I assumed it was Amanda breaking something. "Hold on, baby girl. Here I come. See you later. Be ready!"

I sat up slowly. I looked across the darkened room to where Taylor's bed was. It was empty and her sheets were sloppily thrown across the mattress. I rolled my eyes and threw my legs over the edge of the bed and head towards the bathroom. I opened the shower curtains and turned the knob allowing gallons of water to flow from the faucet. I removed my pajamas and stepped inside.

I thought about what the jail would be like. What they prisoners would look like, act like. What their reactions would be when they saw a 19 year old-almost 20- girl entering a prison. My heart filled with fear.

When I got out the shower I brushed my teeth and pulled my hair into a neat ponytail. I put on some black dress pants and and a white dress shirt. I pulled on some of the most uncomfortable shoes I owned-a pair of black, 4 and a half inch stilettos. Before I went downstairs, I peeked in Mom's room to make sure she had left for work. She was gone.

I was began to push her door open and look inside when I was startled by the doorbell. I pulled the door shut and rushed down the stairs. I opened the door to see a little girl with light brown -almost blonde- hair and hazel eyes staring up at me. She hugged the doll in her arms tightly against her chest. Her pink little cheeks flushed as her gaze met mine.

"Are you Auntie Amby?" She said in a low, sweet voice.

"I...I um..." I stuttered. "I'm pretty sure you mean Amber, but-"

"Amanda!" Madison yelled running up the front steps. "I told you to wait for Mommy on the sidewalk." She bent down in front of Amanda and pushed her long straight hair out of her face.Then she handed me the stack of papers she held in her hands.

"I'm sorry Mommy. I found Auntie Amby." Madison looked up at me in with a smirk.

Madison laughed. "I'm pretty sure you mean-"

"No," I stopped her. "I like it. It's cute." Madison shook her head and stood up. She grabbed Amanda's hand and looked at me. I moved aside and she led Amanda inside. Madison walked into the living room and sat on the couch, lifting up Amanda and placing her on her lap. I sat down next to them. Amanda looked over at me and smiled, like she had known me her whole life.

"She's so cute. How old is she again?" Amanda looked down at her hands before putting one up.

"She just turned five two months ago. I didn't have enough to get her any nice gifts, so all she got was this doll." Madison looked down at Amanda and stroked her hair.

"Well," I said. "What's with all these papers." I flipped through the stack of papers, looking and pictures of different men and records.

"Oh! That's some research I did. Those are some of Harvey's friends who I've met. Some of them have criminal records and others have a clean slate. Some of the other people are people who I know Harvey worked for. I was never actually sure what he did. Some of them are drug dealers, but some of them are are just average bankers! At this point, I don't have the slightest clue what he actually did or whether he was truly a criminal."

I nodded. "So when are we going to leave?"

"As soon as I get dressed. I didn't have time this morning." She looked down at Amanda. "Stay here with Auntie Amby, okay?"Amanda quietly smiled and nodded.

"Is this your house? I like it a lot,"she asked gazing up at me.

"Yeah. I live here with your Auntie Taylor and your Grandma."

"I didn't know I had a Grandma. I met a girl who had two grandmas once! But I'm happy I have two aunties and one grandma."

I felt bad for her. She never had a real family. All she had was a mother. She didn't even have a place to call home. I just wished she could stay here. I wished her and Madison could stay here. I wished Dad could be here, too. Then we could all be a real family.

"Alright," Madison said interrupting my train of thought. "Ready to go?" I nodded my head and I stood up. I reached my hand out for Amanda to grab. She grabbed my hand and we walked out the door.

"It's funny," Madison gave a dull laugh. "Mom left my room exactly the same. Completely untouched." Her voice was shaky.

"Yeah." I said. "She used to say 'my baby will come back one day and she will need somewhere to stay.' It's funny because she doesn't even go in there."

"Oh..." was all she said.

I was terrified. I don't know what made me want to do this. I wasn't capable of doing something like this. Something that could change lives - save lives. I wanted to turn around and go back in the house. But I couldn't. I had to do this for Mom. I had to do this for Madison. I had to do this for Taylor. I had to do this for my family. I had to do this for us.