A d e | n i n e t e e n

Ade glanced at Miriam and then down at his crotch, an audible groan escaping as he let her disappear downstairs and relegated himself to five minutes of silence and the thought of his year thirteen maths teacher. She'd been fifty-five at least, with lipstick on her teeth and a propensity to spit on you when she talked. Three minutes in, and he was ready to go downstairs.

Everyone was collected in the kitchen, glasses in hand, the alcohol free flowing. Ryan brought his speaker and set up camp beside the stove, his phone in one hand while his eyes remained fixed on Miriam who spoke animatedly and gestured towards the device.

"What's going on over there?" Ade slid towards Wes who glanced at Miriam and snorted.

"Ryan doesn't trust her music taste," Wes said.

"Oh?"

"She takes such allegations quite seriously," Wes explained. "As far as she's concerned, she's a music connoisseur." There was a warmth to his voice that left Ade feeling cold, a spark in his eyes which burned so bright its presence was undeniable. They had history, Wes and Miriam. And although Ade resigned himself to Wes being around, it was one thing to see him in the same space as her, to even see them together, and a complete other to watch him watch her.

Miriam must've convinced Ryan to hand over the phone because an Ari Lennox song began playing while she headed towards them, mouth stretched into a victorious grin. She stationed herself between Ade and Wes and picked up a glass filled with a clear carbonated liquid before downing what was left of it in one, single gulp.

"You've played this three times today," Wes laughed as she wiped her mouth with the back of her hand.

"Four now," she corrected, "and it deserves every single one. This song is everything."

"This is in no way her best?" Wes said with a dismissive shrug.

"Take it back," Miriam hissed, taking a menacing step towards him.

Wes' grin widened. "I'll do no such thing," he said.

"You most certainly will."

"I definitely won't."

"You—"

"Is everyone alright with Chinese?" Daniel interrupted, waving an A5 paper menu through the air.

Ryan, still fiddling with the speaker, nodded, leaving Miriam, Wes and Ade to offer a quick yes before Daniel's attention was drawn back to Abi and the mammoth task of curating a meal everyone would enjoy. Thankfully, his voice had cut through whatever magical bond existed between Miriam and Wes and allowed her to refocus her attention where it was needed most.

"I thought there would be more people," Miriam said, glancing at Ade.

"They'll come tomorrow evening," Ade explained just as Wes slipped away. "It's when the real party starts."

"People really drive all this way for a party?"

"People would drive hundreds of miles for expensive alcohol. Plus, Daniel invites people he knew from back when he was in school, and his siblings usually drop by with friends, cousins and stuff too. It's a big deal. But tonight, is just about us."

Miriam bit her lip. "I feel bad being here," she said, that is, whispered. "I mean I barely know Daniel, which is worse because he's been dating Abi for so long and she's been begging me to meet him, and now I'm here for—"

"Here for?" Ade asked, pitching his voice a little higher.

She bit her lip and ducked, itching her forehead as she said, "You."