Chapter 9....

• Dedicated to Charlotte Watling

dedicated to charlotte because she's the only person i know that would call herself a custurd cream and she's always been there for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sorry it took a while but i really want comments on what people think because when i finish writing i'm thinking of re-wirting it and sending it off to a few publisher but only if people think it's good enough so get commenting.

________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 9

My brain had woken up but my eyes weren’t ready to open so I just lay on sofa and listened. I could hear something sizzling in the pan and it smelt like bacon so I wanted to open my eyes but then I heard something else, it was Alec and Alice arguing again. All she’d done since I was in hospital was arguing with him. He wouldn’t tell me why because according to him it “was nothing for you to worry about” but I knew it was about me because she hadn’t spoken to me since then.

“What is your problem with her Alice?” Alec shouted at her. I'd never heard him like that in the 15 years that I'd known him.

“My problem Alec is that she’s MY friend and I haven’t spoken to her since she went into hospital and all this shit happened.” Alice screamed back. Now that voice I'd heard before but never so full of emotion. 

Claire walked through the lounge and sat on the chair opposite me. She knew that I was awake and so she started talking to me.

“That’s all they do nowadays you know, argue over you.” By what Claire was saying I would expect her tone to be harsh and hostile but it wasn’t it was the same kind and soft voice that I'd grown up with. “I would pretend to sleep too if I was you but you’ve got school don’t forget.” She got up and came and perched on the edge of the sofa. She started stroking my hair.

“Why do they argue over me?” I said sleepily.

“Because they both think that they know what’s best for you and now that you and Alec are getting married-” I opened my eyes and sat up. “- he told us when we got back last night but you were already asleep. Anyway now you’re getting married Alice thinks that you’re never going to see each other and that because you haven’t got long left that each moment is so special.” Claire picked herself up off the sofa and walked into the kitchen. I rubbed my eyes and stood up. The blue velvet box was on the stained coffee table that was at the edge of the sofa. I stared at it for a few seconds my eyes still not believing what had caused my smile. I built up the courage to open the box and sure enough there was the biggest diamond I'd ever seen staring me in the face. I couldn’t help myself I just had to put it on. It slipped on my finger perfectly, not too tight but at the same time not too loose. I stood up and went to fumble around for my dressing gown. I found it and put in on. I never did feel comfortable in just my pj’s and so I always took my dressing gown to sleepovers. I walked into the kitchen and was greeted with a silence.

“morning babe, how you feeling?” Alec came over and wrapped his arms around me.

“Yeah ok I think just don’t like listening to you two argue.” Alec pulled away but kept his arms around my waist. He turned around and looked at Alice.

“See, I told you she was on my side!” Alice shouted as she went to walk out. I had to say something because this argument had gone far enough and I needed Alice more than ever now.

“No Alice wait,” I screamed at her and pulled away from Alec. She turned around looked at me and then carried on walking out of the kitchen. I grabbed her arm and pulled her back. I wasn’t normally stronger than her but I think part of her wanted to sort things out because she let me lead her back to the breakfast bar like a dog on a lead. She stood arms folded with her back to counter and Alec stood casually the other side. I stood on the end and needed to get their attention. I slammed my hands down on the counter and Alice and Alec jumped and then just stared at me.

“What is up with you two at the moment all you do is arguing and Alice you haven’t spoken to me in a month? Normally we wouldn’t go an hour without talking?” I looked back and forth between them and then fixed my eyes on Alice.

“I'm sorry Elle but I just think this is all too fast and you’re not ready for it. I'm just trying to look out for you.” Alice seemed like she really did want to sort things out but I can look after myself. I really wanted to tell her but at the same time I didn’t want to cause more arguments and I had to get ready for school.

“Alice it might be too fast you’re right but I don’t have long, remember and I'm happy and that has to be enough for you surly?” I could feel myself begin to cry and I didn’t try to stop it because I thought it might help me fight my case against Alice.

“Elle I'm really sorry I didn’t mean to upset you. Do you recon we could all forget about this because it’s hard on all of us and this is the last thing we need right now?” Alice began to cry and walked slowly towards me. I held my arms out and she just wrapped her arms around me and I wrapped mine back around her. Alec came towards us and stretched his arms around us both.

“Don’t we have school in 15 minutes?” Alec whispered.

“Shit!” I said as I tried to untangle my arms from the knot we had created. Alec and Alice both laughed at me and tighten their grip, locking me in the middle.  They were working against me but at least they were working together.

“Ah come on guys or I'll make us all late and that’s the last thing we all need right now.” I laughed. They both realised what I was saying and let me go. I ran through the lounge picking up my bag on the way. “Alice I'm getting chanced in your room.” I shouted down as I tripped up the stairs.