22 | More Peaceful World

"The same thing that happened to your hand," Suga answered in a quiet voice

"The same thing that happened to your hand," Suga answered in a quiet voice. "Repeated a thousand times." He laughed a little ruefully and brushed at his arm. "Our venom is the only thing that leaves a scar."

"Why?"I breathed in horror, feeling rude but unable to stop staring at his subtly ravaged skin.

"I didn't have quite the same . . . upbringing as my adopted siblings here. My beginning was something else entirely." His voice turned hard as he finished.

I gaped at him, appalled.

"Before I tell you my story," Suga said, "you must understand that there are places in our world, Kook, where the life span of the never-aging is measured in weeks, and not centuries."

The others had heard this before. Joon and Hobi turned their attention to the TV again. Jimin moved silently to sit at Jin's feet. But Taehyung was just as absorbed as I was; I could feel his eyes on my face, reading every flicker of emotion.

"To really understand why, you have to look at the world from a different perspective. You have to imagine the way it looks to the powerful, the greedy . . . the perpetually thirsty."

"You see, there are places in this world that are more desirable to us than others. Places where we can be less restrained, and still avoid detection."

"Picture, for instance, a map of the western hemisphere. Picture on it every human life as a small red dot. The thicker the red, the more easily we — well, those who exist this way — can feed without attracting notice."

I shuddered at the image in my head, at the word feed. But Suga wasn't worried about frightening me, not overprotective like Taehyung always was. He went on without a pause.

"Not that the covens in the South care much for what the humans notice or do not. It's the Volturi that keep them in check. They are the only ones the southern covens fear. If not for the Volturi, the rest of us would be quickly exposed."

I frowned at the way he pronounced the name — with respect, almost gratitude. The idea of the Volturi as the good guys in any sense was hard to accept.